PDA

View Full Version : Updated overall survival from Herceptin

tousled1
06-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Genentech Reports Updated Overall Survival Data From Herceptin Adjuvant Studies In HER2-Positive Breast Cancer - Quick Facts [DNA]

6/4/2007 10:11:05 AM Genentech Inc. (DNA) announced updated results from a joint analysis of two Phase III clinical trials studying Herceptin (trastuzumab) for the adjuvant treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer.

The two randomized, controlled Phase III studies evaluated four cycles of doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel, either every three weeks or weekly for 12 weeks, compared with the same regimens plus 52 weeks of Herceptin in nearly 4,000 patients with HER2-positive breast cancer.

The results showed that the addition of Herceptin to standard adjuvant therapy continued to significantly reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence, the primary endpoint of the studies, by 52 percent in women with HER2-positive, node-positive breast cancer, compared to patients who received standard adjuvant therapy alone.

At four years of follow-up, 85.9% of women treated with Herceptin plus chemotherapy were disease free, compared to 73.1 percent of women treated with chemotherapy alone.

RobinP
06-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Yes, this is what we all hoped for, and I hope this survival benifit continues for years to come.

Mary Jo
06-05-2007, 08:59 AM
That is awesome news and very encouraging.

Thank you Kate for sharing.

Mary Jo

julierene
06-05-2007, 10:46 AM
This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish my Onc would have allowed the Herceptin sooner. I cried in his office, but he just didn't want to risk giving me heart problems at the time - and it wasn't approved. I just have to guess that I would have been in the 14% who got it anyway.

caya
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Great news to see Kate - especially for me since I am starting Herceptin this Thursday.

Caya