PDA

View Full Version : Lumpectomy/radiation Vs Mastectomy

cinnamon97
05-17-2007, 08:17 AM
My breat surgeon and oncologist both indicate that reoccurance and survival rates for these two options are the same. Bottom line: if I have a reoccurance, it won't be because I chose L/R instead of Mastectomy. What do you say? thanks. Faye

My tumor was 2CM; I've had chemo and they can't even finde the tumor now on an ultrasound.

saleboat
05-17-2007, 08:50 AM
So your tumor is completely gone...congrats! A masectomy is a big surgery, and your Oncs told you exactly what mine told me...and even with a masectomy, one never has a zero percent chance of recurrance. Some women elect to have a masectomy for peace of mind reasons. So far, I'm very happy with my decision and I imagine that you'll have a very good cosmetic outcome given that your tumor is gone.

Good luck with your decision.

Jen

suzan w
05-17-2007, 10:18 AM
what type of breast cancer ?

Mary Jo
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
My oncs told me the same thing and I choose mastectomy. Just a personal preference. We are all different. We all handle things like stress in different ways. For me mastectomy was the only way to go. But, that's me. Good luck with your decision process. AND ............... yahoo that chemo got rid of your tumor. That is awesome.

Mary Jo

Becky
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
My breast surgeon didn't even give me a choice. She said she would remove my breast if I absolutely insisted but assured me that I would be happy with lumpectomy. I was so sure I would lose my breast I got 2 other opinions - both the same as hers so I got a lumpectomy.

I believe I had a superb outcome as it looks just like my breast with a line on it.

Mary Jo
05-17-2007, 01:07 PM
After reading Becky's post I suppose I should make clearer my previous post to you. I wasn't given a choice. My tumor was large 4.0 cm and close to the nipple and the surface. Lumpectomy would have left me with half a breast so mastectomy was the method both surgeons I spoke with recommended. However, my first onc. said I should do chemo first to "save my breast" but that wasn't a decision I was comfortable with so did the mastectomy.

Guess I just wanted to clarify that a choice really wasn't available to me but a mastectomy was definitely the right decision for me.

Mary Jo

cassie
05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I too had no choice because I had three tumors in different parts of the breast.
Had a mastectomy but that was for my peace of mind and I would not have had a breast left. I'm sure you did the right thing for you and hope your txs go well!

It's great that your tumor is gone!!

Many hugs! cassie

CLTann
05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Factors leading to the consideration of either lumpectomy or mastectomy are: tumor location, size, biosy procedure (which spreads potential cancer cells), personal preference and radiation side effects (position relative to heart). Consult with a few other oncs is a reasonable step. Best of luck.

KellyA
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi there!

I am so glad that everything has gone so well for you! I decided to have a double mast.- I had VERY dense and fibrocystic breasts and was so "lumpy and bumpy" that I couldn't tell what was what. I had already had 2 separate benign growths removed about seven years ago and that was a contributing factor in me not taking things too seriously this time. When you have 9 or 10 lumps, who's to know which is new or different? Anyways, it gave me a feeling of having a little more control (even if it is a false one). I do believe that for most scenerios, lumpectomy is a preferred choice.

Love, Kelly

Linda
05-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi. This is a hard and personal decision. 2 cm with great chemo response is definately in the lump/rads territory, assuming no surprises in the surgical pathology (is there is still DCIS, getting clean margins, etc). I had a lump and am VERY happy and comfortable with it. The cosmetic outcome was great (a small dent, a small scar, barely noticable) However, I do have more follow up than if I'd had a mast -- once yearly breast MRI, twice yearly mammos on surgery breast for first few years. I don't worry about it -- but that's me...
Now is the time to do some research. Yes, talk to a few surgeons, AND talk to a few plastic surgeons, so you really know what ALL your options are. Most women are happy if THEY made an informed decision.
Good luck
Linda