PDA

View Full Version : Should I Continue With Abraxane?

soljas
05-17-2007, 06:00 AM
To all the members of this site - thank you for your support. I am a six year breast cancer survivor (May is my anniversary) and am currently battling metastases to the bones, lung and brain.* I have logged on to the site on my dark days and received so much comfort by just reading everyone's comments.*
I have a question of my own, and need your help.**After radiation to*the base of my skull and then cerebrum, and 2 gamma knife sessions (all in six months),*I started to take Abraxane and Carboplatin (along with herceptin).**I started in mid January and have*had a very good response.**The activity in my bones and lungs has quieted down and the disease in my brain is stable.*My good response to Abraxane is understandable since I have a good response to taxanes in the past.* Six years ago, after one treatment of Taxol, a tumor in my breast disappeared in 4 days.

My onc says I should stay on this regimen indefinitely. However, he has little experience with Abraxane.
I am afraid of becoming immune/resistant to Abraxane and am wondering if I should stop taking it and switch to another drug, so that by body does not become resistant. There are*obvious questions of whether another drug, whichever it is, would *keep the disease stable.* But my heart tells me that I should "save" Abraxane for the future before it stops working.* This is a fundamental question: do we save drugs we know we respond to for fear of it becoming resistant?* Please, any information would be helpful. Thank you.