PDA

View Full Version : Xeloda for Liver Mets??

doh2pa
05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Hi All,

I'm bummed! My 4 month vacation from chemo is about to end. It was sooooo goood while it lasted. My CAT scan showed 2 large liver spots (7 cm and 1.5 cm - yowza) and 2 smaller ones (4mm). Lymph nodes are, of course, joining in the show. So my onc and I had discussed Xeloda and Tykerb as my next step. With that one met being so large, I'm concerned if Xeloda is the knockout punch I need. Have any of you had good luck with Xeloda for large, stubborn liver mets?

Have I mentioned that I'm BUMMED!

Donna

Lala
05-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Donna
I can understand you're worried. I have been dealing with bone and liver mets for a while. I too questioned the power of Xeloda prior to my taking it.
I am currently on Xeloda Tykerb Zometa. It has been a challenge at times; I had my dose reduced due to side effects. But I can share with you this Good News. I just completed my scans and only after 6 weeks of treatment I have seen amazing results. My biggest liver tumor shrunk by 1/3 and my tumor markers have plummeted. This combination of drugs has given me the best results thus far. Usually it would take months to see results like this in the past. I am so very Thankful for the opportunity to be able to receive these drugs.

I can say to you Smile there is Hope. I wish you the best!
Hugs

Lolly
05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi Donna; I was on very low dose Xeloda for over a year (500mg 2x's daily), combined with my usual Herceptin, for my stubborn lymph nodes. I had a good, partial response and then remained stable for months with no side effects. We decided on the low dose as an initial "test" to see how I tolerated it, and then I loved not having side effects and was happy with stable, so we decided not to rock the boat by increasing the dose. As it was, it bought me valuable time until Tykerb was approved.
I would imagine since you're also fighting those "!#@!#%* liver spots, your onc will want to start you on a higher dose, but just wanted you to know it was very active against my problem lymph nodes.
Welcome to the group!

<3 Lolly

Joy
05-21-2007, 09:25 AM
5 years ago I had many mets to the liver one of which was 7x9cms. I did taxotere and xeloda for a number of months and it all but annihilated the mets. I think xeloda is excellent for liver mets. I am back on it this weekend with tykerb as my mets are wigging out again.

Sorry for the disappointment, it's real, but I think this will be a great combination for you. Check in with the forum for us tykerb gals.

doh2pa
06-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your responses, I honestly don't know what I would do without this sight and all of the amazing men and women that provide me with hope and support. Joy, it was so good to hear that your large mets responded to well, it gives me great hope! Scans in the beginning of July will hopefully tell a similar story.

So far I'm on day 10 of the xeloda and tykerb and zero side effects! I know a lot can happen as the blood levels rise, but I am so amazed and thankful to be feeling so well right now.

Thanks again,
Donna