PDA

View Full Version : Tykerb side effects

my kentucky home
05-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I just got my tykerb this week started taking it right away with xeloda and within 4 days have the hand and foot syndrome, uncontrollable diarrhea, rash starting on my hand, nausea and just downright feel awful. What have I got myself into? Are all these symptoms normal? My doc said I have to stop the drug till I have this under contol and see him tommorrow. Any advice out there?

Andi
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
The symptoms you are having are not uncommon for users of this combo. From previous posts regarding these side effects, sometimes it requires your doctor to adjust your dosage down. I have the occaisonal diarrhea but if I take an immodium, that gets things back in control. I am participating in a study for the hand/foot syndrome and am taking 200mg daily of B6 (or a placeabo) and applying a "urea/lactic based topical keratolytic" cream (or a placeabo) to the palms of my hands and soles of my feet twice a day. So far I have not had any symptoms of hand/foot syndrome but I am just completing day 14 of the X/T combo, and I understand this may not show up until the next cycle. I have a lot of fatique, my nurse that calls regarding the study says she has heard a lot of that from the participants. I also seem to have a queezy stomach, not quite nauseous, but almost. I hope when you meet with your doctor tomorrow, he will be able to help you treat some of these side effects and that you will be able to continue with treatment, but maybe at a lower dosage.

hutchibk
05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Don't give up! It is yet another powerul one two punch of drugs. It will just take your body some time to adjust. Your doc should be able to adjust your dose (of at least the Xeloda) to help mitigate the side effects. Don't get discouraged. I started on Xeloda first for 10 days (because my Tykerb didn't arrive until 10 days later) and I think that was a good way to start. My body ramped up and got used to it first... then I added the Tykerb, which I have noticed is pretty difficult on the guts. Not just diarrhea, but makes my belly feel a little upset and raw. Not all the time, but every once in a while it has a way of reminding me...