PDA

View Full Version : Breast reconstruction

Dianaq
05-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi every one. It has been a year since my diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy w/ radiation and Herception and am looking into reconstructive surgery. I did not have Chemo because I do not feel there has been enough data for HER2+ node negatiove yet. I am still on Herception and have about 5 more months. Has anyone had this kind of surgery?
How do you feel about it?

Sheila
05-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Dianaq

I was node neg Her2 3+, ER PR - when diagnosed 5 years ago. I waited 1 1/2 yrs and then decided to do reconstruction as I had had a modified radical mastectomy. My reconstruction was done with a tissue expander and dilicone (Mentor) implant. During the reconstruction, I developed mets to the nodes in my collarbone area, was then considered stage IV and have been on Herceptin for 3 1/2 years. I developed capsular contractures around the implant, which is not pleasant. Wish I had left well enough alone...I now live wondering if I opened a can of worms when I went in for reconstruction. It may be just coincidental, but tats when I got mets. Many have had no prroblem. It must be a personal choice, weigh the benefits and the risks.

SoCalGal
05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I had bilateral mastectomies with reconstruction using my own body - my tfl's. Then I had further probs with skin spread, and had yet another flap procedure using my latisimus dorsi for one breast. I have many regrets but it is what it is...

It's hard to give advice. It's hard to look back because who knows what each step created and prevented.

IF I were in your shoes I'd just put a prosthetic in my bra. The less surgery the better. Nothing is ever quite right after surgery with the numbness and tingling, scars, etc.

IF you have enough of a stomach, the tram flap uses your tummy gives you both a breast of your own tissue, and a tummy tuck. This is not a simple surgery - but when it's over you can have a very good result.

NOthing is going to be the same - try and meet with as many woman as possible who will let you see and feel their reconstruction. And who will share their stories. That will help you to decide. I hated this part of cancer - all the impossible decisions. xo. Good Luck.