PDA

View Full Version : Komen site problems

nitewind
05-11-2007, 06:59 AM
I truly don't know if I am doing something wrong on that site. I used to read it faithfully but it took a really long time to load. Now that they have updated it, the font is so huge it barely fits on my monitor. I've tried holding the control button and scrolling with my mouse but that doesn't work. Don't know what else to do. Tried contacting them and only got a survey to fill out. Anyone else have this problem with the "new" setup? Thanks for your help.

Erin
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
I love that site for the info and people and HATE IT for the horribly long time it takes for anything to load! I have not been on it in a long time because of that. Last thing I need is more frustration (lol) I actually contacted the web master at one point to see if there was anything that could be done, but all I got was lots of promises about what they were going to do to improve the site, bu that was in January and it has not changed since then so.....

I don't know much about computers, but I did experience the "large font" issue once on thier site, so maybe it is them? Good Luck?

Merridith
05-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I am not familiar with this site, but it sounds like their web master might be new or a volunteer.

It sounds like the web file sizes are excessively large and/or they are using a lot of redundant coding (usually caused by an inexperienced web master) The more code you have, the longer it takes to load. The font size & the fact that it doesn't wrap in your screen is a symptom of their coding problem.

Wait a while, they will probably fix it. Their hit-counter will tell them that they are losing a lot of visitors right now. You won't be the only one having trouble loading it.

Good luck!
Merridith

Chelee
05-13-2007, 01:24 PM
The Komen website over all is great but their message board needs MUCH improvement before I could ever use it. When first DX I went there a couple times and got so aggravated at HOW LONG it takes to have the pages load when you clicked on someones post. (I have high speed cable & it took FOREVER.) I just don't have the patiences for it. The women there are GREAT...and it would be another great board to be involved in...but UNTIL they change it I sure won't be going there any time soon. I don't have enough time in the day to sit and wait for each post I click on to open. Argh!

Plus I don't like the fact you have to click on EACH indiviual reply one by one. They need to have it more like THIS board. Once your on a subject it opens up to see ALL replies. I get so frustrated on that board. You would think they would make some major improvements in that ONE area. You have to have alot of patiences to use their message board...thats all I can say.

Chelee

Erin
05-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Just went back to the Komen site for the first time in weeks, and found they have changed thier format to be very similar to this site. In addition, it is very fast! The pages load quickly and all the responses are on the same page with the original message. This must have been done in the last couple of weeks, as I remember going back a few weeks ago with little change. Nice that they were listening to our comments :-)

tricia keegan
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi All

I've been on the Komen site every day almost for almost two years since dx and yes there have been a lot of problems but I stay for the friends I've made there and for all the help I was given when first dx. It has become much like this site now and very fast.There was a similar post a week or so ago about the print being quite small and they gave instructions on how to fix this on your own computer. I'm sure the solution would also work in reverse but computers are'nt my strong point so sorry I can't tell you how. Some of the other ladies there know I think so give it another try. I've been on there today and the font size is fine on my computer so it's probably just something small you need to do.

Chelee
05-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Erin & Tricia, Thanks for telling me the Komen site has been updated. I just checked it out for the first time in probably 6 months and its great now. That's MORE like it. :) Big improvement. I am surprised it took them this long to switch over to that format...but all that matters is they finally did .

Its so EASY to use now...loads fast and you can read ALL the posts in the same thread like this board. Now I will visit again. Thanks so much for sharing that with us. Komen has a great website with great information but the only thing that was lacking in my opinion was the way their message board was set-up. Fixing the message board alone will bring in much more traffic. That is fantastic. Thanks again!

Chelee

tricia keegan
05-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Glad you checked it out Chelee and look forward to "seeing" you there!!

Chelee
05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Tricia, I was already there today....read lots of posts. Didn't post yet today...but I will. I am really glad this topic came up because it would of been months before I checked in there again. I am just thrilled that they made such a major improvement in the message board. Again...thanks a million.

Chelee

Chelee
05-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Tricia, I was already there today....read lots of posts. Didn't post yet today...but I will. I am really glad this topic came up because it would of been months before I checked in there again. I am just thrilled that they made such a major improvement in the message board. Again...thanks a million.

Chelee