PDA

View Full Version : A Very Sad Time For Me

Sheila
05-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I have spent 3 days this week with my best friend for the last 40 years...we met the first day of high school and have been very close since.she was diagnosed 1/07 with lung cancer with mets to the brain. She went through 2 rounds of chemo, gamma knife, and just finished radiation...she was looking forward to getting some normalcy back in her life. She went in for repeat scans a week ago and found out that she now has mets to the kidney, spine, colon, liver....just everywhere. She has gone downhill so fast since then, and is now in the hospital on O2, Morphine and Zofran as she keeps throwing up...can't eat, her body is shutting down. I hugged her, spent time with her and fought back tears all 3 times....she told me "we must have done something really bad when we were in high school for both of us to end up with cancer!" She was there for me when I was diagnosed and has been there for me even when she was first diagnosed. I am just having a hard time dealing with the fact that 5 mos. ago, she seemed fine, and now they are saying she will be lucky to last a couple weeks....I have cried so many times the past week....I am not ready to lose my best friend! Please say a prayer for her that if she can't get well, at least she won't suffer. She seemed in so much pain ....this is just tearing me apart.

KellyA
05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Sheila,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. She sounds very special and you are very lucky to have someone like her in your life. She is very blessed to have you as well. I can't imagine what it would feel like to see someone that close to me suffer so- She is definitely in my prayers tonight-that she will respond to some sort of treatment, be sent many angels from above (she already has you), and that she will not suffer. You are in my prayers as well- that you are comforted in this sad and stressful time, that you share precious moments with your lifelong friend, and that you are given strength to stand tall.

Love, Kelly

Joy
05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I have big tears and true heart ache for you and your wonderful friend. I have very long term friends and I know just how much they mean. I'm so so so very sorry that this is happening. I want to fly to Illinois and be with you. Not sure I can really do that, but I AM HERE and I LOVE YOU and who didn't do bad stuff in high school?

Kimberly Lewis
05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
sorry Sheila - I know how painful it is to see someone you love die of lung cancer. Praying for you - don't know what else I can do. She is really fortunate to have you!

Barbara H.
05-10-2007, 07:14 PM
This sounds so terrible, Shiela. I can't even imagine how awful you must feel to lose your best friend, and a friend who has also been such a support for you. My thoughts are with you and with her, and I do hope her caretakers can control her pain and nausea.

Best regards,
Barbara H.

Jen
05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Mom I am very sorry about your friend as I know how much she means to you. I pray ALL the time that they find a cure for cancer because I cannot bear the thought of losing you.

Karen Weixel
05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Dear Sheila,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I will pray for peace and strength for both of you.

Karen

Chelee
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Shelia, My heart breaks for you. I am going through almost the exact same thing except its my Mother that has went down hill what seems like overnight. (Lung cancer) I certainly have a good idea of how difficult this is for you. Your friend is so blessed to have you by her side...that truly is a blessing although I know that doesn't take away the pain of seeing your friend so ill. I know your heart is breaking. I wish there were something I could do for you. But the one thing I can do is pray for your friend.

Sending warm healing thoughts and "prayers" to both of you.

Chelee

Becky
05-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Oh Sheila

I am so sorry about your friend. You told me all about her when we were in San Antonio together. Cancer is a nasty, nasty disease but it will never take away the love in your heart for your friend.

I am thinking of you and sending a big hug.

AlaskaAngel
05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Sheila, as hard as it is, no one could mean as much to her in the same way as you are doing, and that may have to be the only thing to hang onto as you both go through this. I'm so sorry. You are one of the most caring people here, and it is very hard to have someone that close to you go through so much. I hope that her medical providers will find ways to help her to be more comfortable.

AlaskaAngel

Bev
05-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Said a prayer for your friend and for you. I think someday we'll get rid of this ugly disease. Bev

lindaw
05-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Dear Sheila

i am so sorry you are going through this. Your friend sounds so special and close to you. You must be great comfort to her.Its so unfair.

love
linda

Lolly
05-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Sheila, I'm holding you and your friend close in my thoughts and prayers, that her suffering will ease and you will be able to spend some more quality time together before she passes.
<3 Lolly

Sheryl H
05-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Sheila, I am so sorry this is happening. I'm sending prayers and love to you and your friend. I am so glad that she and you have had this friendship.

Sometimes it's really hard to come on this board. Don't know how many times I have signed on and ended up either laughing or crying. I wish we could all do something more for you and her. I'll be thinking of you both.

DonnaD
05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Shelia,
I am so sorry. You and your best friend are in my thoughts and prayers. Find peace in knowing many are praying for you both.
Donna

Catherine
05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Dear Shelia,

I am so sorry about your dear high school friend. How can this disease be so sneaky, elusive and mean? Maybe we are all in the bad-girl high school club that we did not know that we joined. Or maybe it is true "that only the good die young."

What is most important is that your friend knows you are there for her. It seems impossible, like you say that 4-6 months ago she was fine. I, too, will pray for her and you. I am so sorry about your sadness at this sad time.

Hang in there the best you can, Catherine

RhondaH
05-11-2007, 02:33 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Neither you nor she did anything wrong, if anything it's your "specialness" that made you a target for this horrible disease. Your friend is in my prayers, BIG huggs to you. Take care and God bless sweetie.

Rhonda

mts
05-11-2007, 05:23 AM
Oh Sheila,

It seems that everything that happens to one of us really happens to all of us. You make me think of my close friendships and appreciate them more by reading about your long friendship... there is truly nothing like it.
Please know I am thinking about you and praying for your dear friend.

Warmly,

maria

Sandy H
05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Sheila, I am sorry to hear about your friend. Have been through this myself and its very hard. Will keep you in my prayers and for her comfort these last few days. Life sure gets harder for us between fighting our own disease and reaching out to others. Sending you and your friend a big hug, Sandy

kimber
05-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Sheila - With tears I write this. I HATE CANCER!!!!! I just received news yesterday from my friend that her cancer is back. In the spine and pelvis. WHY, WHY, WHY, I just want to scream.

I am praying that your friend is able to cross over without anymore suffering. I am praying that you will find yet some more strength to find your smile again. I know that you will never be able to make sense of this horribly ridiculous senseless crap called cancer. So I just send you my love and prayers.

-kim

tousled1
05-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Sheila,

My heart goes out to you. I too have gone through losing a good friend to cancer just last year (Dec). She had been diagnosed with cervical cancer and within a matter of months she had mets to lungs. Within 3 months of that she passed away. I was extremely upset about it as I had been diagnosed before her. I don't think we have cancer because we did something wrong is our past. We just happened to get dealt a bad gene. Hang in there. Be there for your friend as I'm sure she sure needs your comfort now. I will keep her and you in my prayers.

DEBBIE S
05-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Sheila, So sorry to hear about your friend ....It must be so very hard for you at this time also .... I will keep both you and her in my prayers.... I pray that she knows Jesus as her saviour and will be in Heaven soon....

God Bless,

Debbie

IRENE FROM TAMPA
05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
You have to know that you are so lucky to have each other at a time like this.
Your being there for each other through your cancer fight , and you for your friend right now, must mean the world to her. I know this does not ease your pain of preparing to lose her any easier.

Keep your memories of her strong in your heart and know you made a difference to her.

You take care of yourself and I will keep your friend in my prayers.

MJo
05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry. I know your friend is thankful to have you.

Patb
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Sheila

My prayers are with you and your friend. Such sad days we go through.
Take care
patb

Jean
05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Dear Sheila,

I am so sad to read your post. My heart breaks for both of you.
I will keep both of you in my prayers. It is so difficult to understand
and accept this loss. We are after all so fragle.

Fondly,
Jean

Mary Jo
05-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Oh Sheila,

What can I say that hasn't already been said. All I can say is I'm so so sorry your friend and you have to go through this. I too pray that she doesn't have to suffer and I also say a prayer of thanks that your friend has a friend like you to stand beside her on her journey.

God Bless you and her with His peace!!!!

Hugs,

Mary Jo

Liz J.
05-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Dear Sheila,

My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your friend. May God be with you both through this heartbreaking time.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

LindaC
05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Dear Shelia,
I am so sorry that you have to go through this I wish I was there to hold you and your friend. I will say a prayer for your friend that she does not suffer and one for you to stay strong.
God Bless you BOTH,
LindaC

rinaina
05-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Darn Cancer! It has taken so many of our loved ones. I feel your pain and hurt and I will pray for your friend...that at least she be spared suffering. My heart goes out to you.

Andi
05-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Sheila - You have shared a kind of special relationship with each other that is very special, my prayers are with you and your friend.

Vanessa
05-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Sheila. I am praying for both you and your friend. My heart goes out to you and her family.

Belinda
05-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Sheila - I just don't know what to say - I am so sorry for both you and your friend. Warm hugs to you, and know you will both be in my thoughts - Belinda

tricia keegan
05-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Oh Sheila I can hear the pain you're feeling and am so sorry for you and your friend. My own friend whom I met here is also going though a tough time fighting this so I do understand your sadness. Please know both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers and I hope your friend will be free from pain and at rest soon.

huge hugs
Tricia

Caroline UK
05-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Oh Sheila, I feel for you so much and am so very sorry to hear of what you and your dear friend are going through. I am sending you hugs from over the ocean, and hope that you both find some peace and loving moments together in the next few days.

Emelie
05-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Shelia,
My mom passed away 26 years ago from lung cancer and I know how hard it is to see their pain. Remember that you are one of the best things in her life and I will pray for you and her that there is no more pain and she passes to a better place in peace. I know it is hard to be strong through all this, but we are all here for you.
Peace be with you and her,
Emelie

Mary Anne in TX
05-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh, Sheila, can any pain be as bad as that which comes to us when those we love so much are in pain and we can't help them. Only love them more. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose such a special friend as yours. What a treasure to have had each other for all this time and to have been there for each other as you fight the dreaded cancer battle. I hope you can find a way to have peace as your friend prepares for her "new" life. Much love and hope for a better tomorrow to you and to your special friend. ma

vickie h
05-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Sheila Dear, I am so sorry to hear about your friend, I, too have lost 3 close friends to cancer and it is becoming a bit overwhelming. My love and prayers go out to you at this sad time. May God hold you warmly in his arms as he cradles your friend today. Love, Vickie