PDA

View Full Version : weight loss

DonnaNY
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi all, I have a question. My mom lost alot of weight, due to the radiation treatments(it nick her stomach). She is trying desperatly to gain the weight back. My dad bought this weight gainer mix at GNC. My moms Oncologist said it was OK for her to take it. I thought maybe you all might have some tips on how to gain some weight, or maybe you have taken a similar mix to gain weight , and can offer some advice, as I hear it dosent taste very good ! thanks !

God Bless

Donna

Becky
05-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Calorie dense foods work well. Mashed potatoes made with whole milk (gravy - yum). Custards, puddings, whole milk yogurt. Use whole milk instead of skimmed. Other "better for you" choices are avocados and nuts.

Eating often also helps. A good 200 calorie snack every hour may be better tolerated than 3 larger meals.

Cheeses are also calorie dense. Milkshakes too.

Also, walking (an easy to do exercise - or exercise in general) can stimulate the appetite.

Lolly
05-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Ensure is a good product, it's a liquid milkshake like mix that comes in a can and you can use it for a base for other drinks. I fix it for my dad in between meals as a protein booster, and have added ice cream to make a milkshake, stirred it into coffee and added a packet of cocoa mix for a mocha, poured it over ice for a quickie beverage, etc.
Peanut butter on crackers or celery, a scoop of cottage cheese with a few slices of banana on top are also good high calorie/protein snacks.

<3 Lolly

DonnaNY
05-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks Becky and Lolly. My mom does drink Ensure , its pretty good. Thanks for the tips. :)

With Love, Donna