PDA

View Full Version : Tykerb/Herceptin Question

Esther
05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I saw my onc for the first time after getting my good news about my CA 27-29 last Friday. He called it a "miracle response" and said I was continuing to be the "miracle patient".

That being said, he wanted to take me off of Herceptin. He thought the Tykerb/Xeloda was what was making the difference, as the TM's had been creeping up while on Herceptin alone. He had kept me on as he was not sure if I would respond to the Tykerb.

Getting off the Herceptin will also be easier on my heart. I was a bit hesitant when he brought it up, as I have been on Herceptin for almost 4 years, and it's been a good friend.

But if the blood tests indicate it, I can always go back on Herceptin. The one really big Woohoo in this is that I'm hoping to lose the Herceptin weight. I've heard from others and they report that they lose the Herceptin weight shortly after stopping it. Wouldn't that be nice!!! Right in time for summer sports too!!!

So I've had my last Herceptin infusion, at least for the forseable future. I wasn't expecting this, but now I'm excited about it.

Lolly
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Esther, I had my last Herceptin 4 weeks ago in preparation for starting Abraxane, and then Tykerb last week, and at my oncs today realized I've lost 5 lbs without even trying! So that's the bright spot for sure.
I was sad to let my old friend go, I've been on it for over 6 years, but we had a good run with it and I'm grateful for that, and GLAD for Tykerb.
Good luck at your weigh-in's!

<3 Lolly

hutchibk
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah Esther! Great news! I, too, was afraid of leaving Herceptin behind as I also considered it my old friend of about a year and a half... but I felt better also knowing we could go back to it later if needed.