PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

nancy d
05-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Can you tell me which (and how much of each) supplements and vitamins you take? Also which foods you avoid. Is there anything you should avoid while on chemo? Also, how much exercise is recommended during chemo--I will start herceptin (after muga scan )after chemo and I want to be fit for it but my energy levels are very low just now.
Thanks Nancy

Becky
05-06-2007, 09:31 AM
During chemo you should avoid large doses of antioxidant supplements. Theoretically, fish oil, tumeric and a multi vitamin/mineral is fine but large doses of CoQ 10, C, E, A etc are frowned upon - you should consult your doctor or your cancer center's dietician.

Walking is a wonderful exercise as you can start slow (both in speed and the amount of time you do it) and work up.

hutchibk
05-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I am on Xeloda/Tykerb. Minerals, calcium/magnesium combo, Omega/EFAs, B-6, are the ones my nutritionist has me taking. How much is determined by your weight and the RDA in whichever vits you buy. MORE IS NOT BETTER! Also, take your vits with meals, they work better when digested with food. Drink green tea (or any tea is good), eat lots of fruits and vegs (I have tried to do 50% cooked and 50% raw per day as a general rule), avoid fried foods, avoid grilling meat/poultry/fish (flame kissed and high heat cooking creates carcinogens from enzymes in the meat), avoid hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup and most food in boxes. Eat whole grain pastas and rice. Organic meats and dairy are good because they don't have the hormones and antibiotics, and wild caught fresh fish is also recommended. As far as exercise, they want me walking 20-40 minutes minimum 5 days a week, and would love for me to do some light to moderate weight or resistance training for 20-30 minutes 3 x a week.

Sometimes vitamins can interfere with different chemos, so be careful. Like Becky said, be aware of Super-dosing and antioxidants while on chemo. When I was on Carboplatin, I couldn't take B-complex 1 day before a treatment or for 5 days after. Sometimes when you are on a chemo there is a "protected zone" when you should be careful about what to take and when. Right now on Xeloda, the Folic Acid in Multi-vits and B-complex can contribute to worsening the side effects, so I am not taking those while on Xeloda. My nutrtionist/naturopath has been doing studies and research on counteractions and reactions of supplements and chemo for 20 years. He is pretty well-versed about it all. His name is Dr. Labriola and he is in Seattle.
He and his staff will do phone consults and he will also consult with your doctor first. It's not cheap, but I think it's well worth it. He has a book called Complimentary Cancer Therapies. It's very informative. I found the book first and then decided to call him after reading it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!