PDA

View Full Version : Exciting news from PET scan!

fauxgypsy
05-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I am 51. I was diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma in early Feb. '07. Her2+++, HR+/PR+, nuclear grade 3 of 3. The lumpectomy found two tumors, one was 1 cm but was not invasive, the malignant 4 cm tumor did not have clear margins. A PET scan showed numerous lesions in my liver. Since then I have had two rounds of chemo on a four week cycle.

week 1: carboplatin, herceptin, and taxol

week 2: herceptin, taxol
week 3: a larger dose of herceptin and the taxol

week 4: no treatment

I have been able to continue with most of my normal activities, just using more moderation. Being self employed I have had more freedom to adjust my schedule. I have continued to work in my garden, planting flowers and vegetables. I have a couple of days a week that I am very fatigued but that is not unbearable. So far all my blood counts have been pretty normal. Potassium was a little low this week, as was my red blood cell count. But just barely below normal. I still have hair, though it has gotten thin. I was beginning to wonder if my doses were high enough.

Thursday I had another PET scan. In the first one, my breast lit up all around the lumpectomy scar and my liver, in the words of the doctor "looked moth eaten", there were places all through it. In this last PET scan there is no cancer. Nothing. When the oncologist told us this my husband thought he was saying that the PET scan was defective. I thought he was saying that my liver was clear. He had said previously that they weren't sure about the liver. The lesions were so diffuse that they did not think they could find them in a biopsy. But nothing showed up. Anywhere.

I am amazed. I had no idea that any treatment could work so well and so fast. I know that this is not considered a cure, I am not even sure if this is NED. I am almost afraid to believe it. I feel blessed. Has anyone else had an experience similar to this?

Leslie

Lolly
05-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Leslie, I just want to say congratulations on your fabulous PET! I'm sure you'll hear from some of the others on this site who've beaten back extensive liver mets with Herceptin combined with various chemos; there are quite a few! You celebrate!

<3 Lolly

chrisy
05-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Leslie - what terrific news! You must be on cloud 9! That T/C/H combo is a great one and I'm so glad to hear you had such a fabulous response. Keep on doing what you're doing - living your life and ENJOYING every minute of it!

Much love
Chris

Patricia
05-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Wow Leslie,

That is amazing and wonderful!!!! Congratulations!

Hugs,
Patricia

MJo
05-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Congratulations. I don't see why new drugs couldn't wipe out all cancer cells in a Stage IV person's body. Maybe we aren't there yet, but I trust we are close. There are three Stage IV survivors in my support group -- BC, Lung and Ovarian. The BC and Lung survivor are currently NED. The ovarian survivor isn't NED, but feels healthy and is planning to be around for at least another decade. I believe I'm cured. But if I should recur in the future, I expect to survive it with a good quality of life. Congratulations again to you. I'm out there in the garden planting too. Hard work but good exercise.

tousled1
05-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Leslie, Congratulations on such wonderful news! Whatever you're doing seems to be working. Keep it up

Jean
05-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Leslie,

How absolutely wonderful Love hearing your good news. I had the TCH combo also...many others on this board have also had it...I wish you continued success. Please keep us posted ...sending you lots of love.

Jean

Caroline UK
05-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Leslie,
What amazing news. I can see that you hardly dare believe it...but it really is wonderful, and I'm so happy for you.
I've also been out in my garden planting, maybe it's the gardening that's the cure!
Big hug to you, I'm going off to bed with a big smile on my face, thank you for sharing your news with us.

fauxgypsy
05-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Thank you all so much. I am so tired from Friday's chemo that it has been hard to feel celebratory. This has been a whirlwind of a year so far and I am feeling overwhelmed. It will be better in a day or so. The carboplatin just takes me down for a couple of days.

Leslie

cassie
05-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Leslie

So great to hear your new Keep up the good work and believe it is true
I'm 20 months NED and hope to go strong.

Hugs to you! cassie

Joy
05-07-2007, 09:11 AM
I know you are tired, but how nice to be tired and know that this junk IS WORKING! Here's to a long relationship with NED!