PDA

View Full Version : Neurontin

sassy
04-25-2007, 08:34 PM
For over a year I dealt with the aches and pains from Herceptin, Arimidex and Lupron, hoping for lessening side effects when Herceptin ended in December. Unfortunatly, when Herceptin ended, I also had to switch to montly Lupron and the side effects increased!

Last month my onc put me on Neurontin and I have had a marked improvement. Still have stiff joints after sitting for a while and upon waking, but a lot of the other aches and pains have subsided significantly. I have hope that this improvment will continue.

I wanted to post this for others who may wish to explore Neurontin as an option.

Glad to be here, glad to be NED! and glad to be feeling better!
________
Vapor info (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

StephN
04-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks for mentioning this, Sassy -

I also had good success with using Neurontin during both my courses of chemo - first round and for mets. It did me a lot of good and helped me sleep when I had the severe flu-like symptoms from Taxotere and then later Taxol.

Would highly recommend this drug to ameliorate side effects. In my case I did not need to take it very long - a couple of months or so each time.

hutchibk
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
I wonder (as I change from Taxol/Herc to Tykerb/Xeloda) if Neurontin would help me with the left over stiffness. Or if Tykerb/Xeloda will come with it's own set of aches and pains that Neurontin would help with... hmmmm.

Alice
04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I have been taking Neurontin for about 1 year now to help with the neuropothy. My rad onc prescribed it when I told her I was having severe pain especially at night in my legs. It was to the point that I didn't know if I could go on.I had neuropathy all through my chemo and it got really bad during radiation. My onc said that I probably will always have it considering it is still a problem it may get somewhat better. Anyway, the first night I took it I was expecting to wake up as always in excruciating pain after about 2 hours of sleep. I woke up the next morning at about 4:0 am with no pain! It was such a relief!

Sherryg683
04-25-2007, 10:30 PM
I am on Neurontin for the lingering pains that I have with the shingles that I came down with in January. I found it very hard to take in the beginning, it made me very sleepy and dopey feeling. I take it 3 times a day. It's gotten a little better but I still feel a little drugged and dizzy at times. It helps some with the shingle pain but not as well as I would have wished. These pains I'm having are worse than anything I had while on chemo. I tried other things for the pain but went back on Neurontin because it seemed to help the most, still dont like the way it makes me feel..sherryg683

sassy
04-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Sherry,

I am sorry you are still having pain from the shingles. I have some friends who have been thru this and know it can be significant.

Luckily I have not had the sluggishness or dopey feeling (some might say I was dopey anyway!) with the Neurontin. My body is fighting mightily to come out of menopause, and monthly Lupron shots are keeping me on a roller coaster. The Neurontin has helped even this out somewhat, although I am very emotional the day or two after my Lupron shot.

Hope things get better for you.
________
Brunette live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/brunette-girls/)

bonnie
04-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Brenda, I was surprised that after my chemo, radiation I was extremely stiff when getting up from a chair. I had a slight shoulder injury arroudn that time and the orthopedist prescribed 200 mg. daily of Celebrex for that and all of a sudden the stiffness went away. So you might try that too.

Bonnie
---------------------------------------------------

"I wonder (as I change from Taxol/Herc to Tykerb/Xeloda) if Neurontin would help me with the left over stiffness. Or if Tykerb/Xeloda will come with it's own set of aches and pains that Neurontin would help with... hmmmm.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Brenda"