PDA

View Full Version : a dietary study regarding bc risk done specifically for her2+ bc

Lani
04-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I think this is a first! READ THE LAST SENTENCE AND NOD!

1: Int J Cancer. 2007 Apr 23; [Epub ahead of print]
Salad vegetables dietary pattern protects against HER-2-positive breast cancer: A prospective Italian study.

Sant M,
Allemani C,
Sieri S,
Krogh V,
Menard S,
Tagliabue E,
Nardini E,
Micheli A,
Crosignani P,
Muti P,
Berrino F.
Department of Preventive and Predictive Medicine, Unit of Etiological Epidemiology and Prevention, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy.
Studies investigating the relation of diet to breast cancer have produced conflicting results. We hypothesized that dietary factors associated with breast cancer risk might differentially influence the HER-2 status of the cancers that develop, and investigated this hypothesis by analyzing the data of the ORDET prospective study. We analyzed 8,861 volunteer women residents of the Varese Province, Italy, for whom we had full data. By December 31, 2001, 238 cases had occurred in which HER-2 status was known. Four dietary patterns had been identified previously by factor analysis: salad vegetables (high consumption of raw vegetables and olive oil), prudent (cooked vegetables, poultry, fish), western (potatoes, meat, eggs, butter), and canteen (pasta, tomato sauce, wine). In our study, relative risks (RRs) of developing HER-2-positive and HER-2-negative breast cancers by tertiles of dietary pattern factor scores were assessed by multinomial logistic regression. The salad vegetables dietary pattern had a protective effect against HER-2-positive cancers (RR = 0.25, 95% CI 0.10-0.64, for the highest tertile; p(trend) = 0.001), much stronger than for HER-2-negative cancers (p(heterogeneity) = 0.039). This important finding that a salad vegetables dietary pattern protects mainly against a specific breast cancer subtype indicates that future studies on environmental/dietary risk factors should explicitly take account of the heterogeneity of breast cancer phenotypes. (c) 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
PMID: 17455245 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

RhondaH
04-25-2007, 09:47 AM
things that make you want to say...HMMMM

Rhonda

R.B.
04-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Many thanks Lani.

Is the full trial report available?.

RB

hutchibk
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Salad is my favorite food! Although I like prudent and canteen alot too...

This is really interesting.

Lani
04-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Yes The Full Article Is Available (not Sure If For Free)

Caroline UK
04-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Very interesting, and thanks for telling us about this, Lani.

I'm wondering what 'salad' vegetables means - I guess lettuce, tomatoes, maybe carrots, mushrooms, beetroots, asparagus, fennel, chicory, alfalfa....what do others think? Does it perhaps only mean the leafy kind?

Lani
04-26-2007, 07:50 AM
there were four groups the first of which included fresh veges (which necessarily included more olive oil, RB)

the second more meats, potatoes, dairy etc

the third more pasta, tomato sauce etc

and the fourth more COOKED VEGES

so it implies the benefit came from uncooked veges or the olive oil. I am sure RB has something to say about that!

hutchibk
04-26-2007, 06:20 PM
And we have known for a couple of years that olive oil might dramatically supress the levels of the Her2neu protein. That a diet rich in oleic acid, such as the Mediterranean diet, may delay or prevent Herceptin resistance in breast cancer patients who are Her-2/neu positive, and may also curb colon cancer...

It really helps that I love EVOO... (kudos to Rachel Ray for the terminology) and could actually drink it if necessary!

mamacze
04-26-2007, 07:35 PM
RB, you come through at the clutch once again. Boy does this support a raw veggie diet that many many health institutes advocate. You really hit the nail on the head with this one...Thank you for sharing!!
Lov eKim from CT