PDA

View Full Version : herceptin AND tykerb/xeloda - who pays?

SoCalGal
04-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Ladies,
It seems that some people are on herceptin with Tykerb and xeloda. I asked my onc about it today and he insisted it must be part of a clinical trial - he said he didn't think any insurance company would pay for both.

I told him I would check with my council of women warriors. Any feedback on this? Thanks!
Flori

Esther
04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Flori, I am on Herceptin, Tykerb and Xeloda. I have United Healthcare and they are not having a problem paying for this combination.

Sherryg683
04-25-2007, 10:31 PM
My insurance is paying for both Herceptin and Tykerb (i'm not getting on Xeloda) as a preventative. ..sherryg683

SoCalGal
04-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Odette, Sherry, and all, thanks for the feedback.

I got good news yesterday - my onc called to tell me that my markers went down. CEA is 6.1 from 16.6 and CA15 is 30 from 36.1.

After only 3 weeks on the sauce, it is a good and hopeful sign. And the biggest miracle is that my second opinion Onc AGREED with my primary docs. For once I am not tortured and torn trying to make decisions.

The side effects are getting tougher - mostly the lack of appetite and diarrhea and low level nausea. I have also had a bad cold so that is no doubt intensifying the whole thing. I'm supposed to start back on xeloda on Friday, but may delay a day or so until this cold passes. Will call Onc and report in.

I saw my Chinese medicine doc yesterday for acupuncture and scary teas. He kept me alive for all my other times on chemo, so I'm giving it another whirl, too.

Every morning I have a conversation in my head about should I take the meds, or should I skip a day until I feel better, and it's always after logging on that I feel so inspired that I take my meds.

Thank you. Flori

bailey
04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
If anyone has info. on the tykerb/xeloda mix plse. forward as I will be starting in the next couple of weeks.
Interested in what you took for nausea, how you dealt with the hand and foot redness, any hair loss anyone? Any info. would be great. Energy levels, food/diet , etc.

thanks
Bailey

Zoid
04-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Bailey,

I've been on Tykerb and Xeloda for 3 mo now. I occassionally get nauseous, but my doctor have me some anti-nausea tablets that kind of work. I haven't found any correlation between where I am in the cycle and the bouts of nausea.

Two things have helped my nausea when I do get it; 1) chocolate or chocolate ice cream, and 2) Ginger anything; ginger ale, ginger cookies, candied ginger, etc. My favorite are "Ginger Chews" - they are actually really spicy so I didn't think they'd help, but I eat them about 1/4 of the chew at a time and it really helps.

I had some problems with fatigue and wouldn't be as active as normal. I finally decided to do my best to ignore the fatigue and that's working pretty well. (Either that or my body got used to the combo).

The bottoms of my feet are reddish and I get blisters sometimes, but keeping them well-moisturized makes a huge difference. My Dr. recommended "Utterly Smooth, which Trader Joe's has at a ridiculously low price). Slather it on and then put on socks. I also found that getting softer insoles for my shoes helped.

I've never heard of anyone losing hair b/c of Xeloda/Tykerb
Hope this helps,
Susie

hutchibk
04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I am just ramping up to start Ty/X tomorrow. I will start Xeloda first and then when the Tykerb arrives (in about 10 days), I will add it immediately. My doc said that Zofran is what he will prescribe for the nausea, if there is any... isn't Zofran supposed to be pretty pricey?

Sherryg683
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I never had any nausea while I was on Xeloda but my hands and feet got really, really bad. No amount of cream helped, doctor had to lower the dosage..i started at 3000 mg daily. Just be aware that they may have to adjust the dosage on this. I don't think either drug causes hair loss...sherryg683

bailey
04-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Thank you all so much for your help. As you may recall from my previous info. when my cancer mets. to lung and liver in 2003 I was on Taxotere and Herceptin and then when I came off Taxotere stayed on herceptin and my last one was Wed. as the scans show a very small spots on the lung so he wants me on the ty/xel mix which should arrive soon. He did mention the redness on hands and feet. Living in Arizona my feet are dry enough so this will certainly be a challenge. I go for regular pedicures - do you think this is something I"ll need to stop doing? Not sure how my nail tech will feel about it all.
B