PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Slamon in Canada discusses "cure"

Cathya
04-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I want to say hi as I haven't been posting in a while. I am doing well and am praying for all of you!!

I just read the National Post this morning....an article by Libby Znaimer who also has breast cancer (although not Her2+). Apparently Dr. Slamon was in Toronto this week to pick up the Gairdner International Award for Medical Research.

In his speach, according to her article, he said, "I don't have the data yet, but I bet you we can improve the cure rates by about one-third with Herceptin." He discussed herceptin being what he calls a "targeted therapy". It attacks the specific genetic mutation that causes the disease. (He said that Her2+ is caused by a mistake in the gene, but it's not hereditary. It just happens when the cell replicates; no one knows why) That's completely different from chemotherapy, which attacks your entire system in the hope that it will kill cancer cells too. "The ultimate goal would be to get rid of chemotheraphy. If we can identify what's broken, we won't throw in these non-specific bombs."

One of the attendees commented to Libby that she would love to go and hug him (wouldn't we all!!). She has two herceptin treatments left. Libby said that Dr. Slamon will consider her cured if she survives for six or seven years. "Cure" is not a word he uses lightly. "I think it sets expectations inappropriately,: he says, "but if you identify what's broken, and you treat it effectivel, it isn't just turning the cancer into a chronic disease. You should be able to eradicate the disease."

God bless you all,

Cathy

Andrea Barnett Budin
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I can't resist the opportunity. Last yr I was in Calif (from Fl) visiting my daughter and grandson. I made an appt w/Dr. Pegram, a part of the team that developed Herceptin in response to isolating the HER2 gene. He is/was a partner of Slamon. Seeing this man, giving my entire history (from '95) and hearing his input was electrifying. I expressed how thrilling it was to meet him.

Someone came into the exam room and metioned that Slamon (who no longer sees patients -- fully into research) was in the office. I stood up on the protruding ledge of the exam table (fully dressed, with heels) and announced -- I AM NOT LEAVING THIS OFFICE UNTIL I MEET HIM! They laughed. And got the message. Within five minutes there was a knock on the door. Slamon came in beaming, happy to meet the fruits of his labor. Again, I stood on the ledge, in heels. Slamon is about 6'2". I am 5'2". But not in heels, and not when standing on a ledge. I threw my arms around him! He hugged me back and we laughed. I was eye to eye with him and mentioned the odd experience of being so tall and able to hug from such a height. I thanked him for saving my life! Uttering those words is quite an emotional thing. I told him that I am using my time here on Earth well, have greeted 5 grandchildren since my 4th stage diagnosis, am writing a book about my experience and the amazing Spritual Lessons I have found that have enriched my life immeasurably. That I have come to counsel people (friends of friends) who are sent to me because of my fabulous attitude. Slamon, and Pegram, were delighted. The healed meeting the healers. It was like Elvis was in the building. My husband Paul and I were on a high for days afterward.
ANDREA

tricia keegan
04-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Thank you Cathy for posting this info, it really sounds so encouraging.
Andrea I felt quite emotional in reading your post, to actually see in words written that this man may have saved ALL our lives is quite a feat. I'm glad you're doing so well and for myself I choose to believe right now that HE has saved my life rather than watch the calender for 6-7 years!
Hopefully it will be a self fullfilling prophecy.

Andrea Barnett Budin
04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Tricia and everyone! I promise you this is a Secret of the Universe! What you spend your day focusing on will be drawn to you. You are a magnetic field, broadcasting signals. Make them full of what you WANT vs. what you FEAR. Live with Love, Joy over the blueness of the sky and the grace of each tree as it dances in a breeze. See the sublime in the ordinary. Hug people more and for a bit longer. Exchange Energy with them! Send out loving Energy that is full of awe. Smile. Laugh. Talk to people, even strangers. (Believe me, this was NOT me before my dx.) Everyone has Messages for one another. OPENING up and conversing, you will touch someone's life in a most special way, you will find, much to your surprise. And, you know what? They have Messages for you! Listen for them. We're all here to help one another. And to tap into that Love and Oneness thing. When you look at another person, see yourself. Have compassion. See that we are all related -- all of Humanity! This philosophy lets you go about each day nurturing yourself and others, granting you a sense of feeling in Harmony, in sync with the Universe. Work with the Universe. Send your Energy out to it -- and be ready to receive just what you "broadcast", on frequency waves coming from you and to you! With LOVE, ANDREA

vickie h
04-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Dr. Slamon is still in practice in Santa Monica, Ca (on Santa Monica Blvd.) and he is still seeing new patients. Love, Vickie

Andrea Barnett Budin
04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
HURRAY FOR ALL OF US! A yr ago when I called his office, that was not so, and they directed me to Pegram. I just may schedule a visit for July, when I go out to visit my daughter and grandsons. It's the baby's 1st birthday! Thanks so much for the "latest" info.

Andi

Esther
04-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Vickie, do you have any contact information for Dr. Slamon? :Last I heard, he was not taking any new patients.

Since Dr. Pegram is leaving UCLA in early June, I would love to have a new contact to use for a second opinion.

Lani
04-25-2007, 11:12 PM
I heard last Thanksgiving that Dr. Pegram was leaving UCLA. Do you know where he will be going to?

Lani

Barbara2
04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I copied this from someone else's info:

Dr. Slamon
UCLA Oncology Ctr.
2336 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 301
L.A., Calif 90404
310-829-5471 (Main number to Ctr.)
Additional number: 310-825-5193 (direct office line)
Fax 310-453-8309

dslamon@mednet.ucla.edu

vickie h
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Dr. Dennis Slamon is taking new patients, as I have a second opinion with him on May 10th. He has worked extensively with my Oncologists, Linnea Chap and Dr. Rosen, who are one block down from Slamon's offive at 2200 Santa Monica Blvd, and called Premiere Oncology. They are all excellent Oncologists, and have worked together for years. I am not sure that I will keep my appt. as Chap and Slamon do the same research/papers/lecturing, etc. I wish you luck getting in, because they are truly the best. Esther, give them a call at 310-829-5471. That is their direct line. Sincerely, Vickie

Jean
04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Esther,

Please keep us posted on when you will be seeing Dr. Slamon...he is difficult to see due to his ever traveling schedule but oh boy...so worth working with his
schedule and getting to consult with him. He is sooooooooo wonderful. Where is Dr. P going? We don't want to loose track of him either, another wonderful
doctor.

Best wishes to you!
Jean