PDA

View Full Version : Lupron

Marilyn
04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I have a question about Lupron. I was given the shots for about 2 years in order to shut down my ovaries. Normally I'm on top of things but I honestly don't know how long ago it's been since I stopped the Lupron but I am sure that it has been more than a year. Now I am having the joy of a period and I'm wondering if my ovaries are once again working or if something else is going on. Has anyone else taken Lupron and then had their ovaries start working again? I plan to see the oncologist about this in another week and a half but of course I'm trying to diagnose myself. :-) Thanks for any input!! Marilyn

Becky
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I have no experience with this but.... does the bleeding seem like your period or is it different. Did the bleeding last as long as a period (3-7 days) and then stop as a period does or are you just bleeding continually (or spotting continually). It might be best to make an appointment with your gynecologist. You should have bloodwork to measure hormones (LH, FSH and estradiol). They might also want to do a baseline ultrasound of your uterus. You never mentioned how old you are.

Marilyn
04-12-2007, 05:30 PM
So far it's been for a couple of days and seems like a regular period. I am 51. I was kind of beginning to think that maybe I should see my ob/gyn about this as well. It's always good to hear someone else's opinion. I just find it rather annoying since I thought I was through this. Thanks for your input.

sassy
04-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Marilyn,

If you are taking an AI, you should discontinue until you find out if this is a period. My onc has cautioned me to stop taking my Arimidex immediately should my period return. I am currently on monthly Lupron shots to keep me in menopause.

Good Luck,
________
HURT FROM AVANDIA (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/avandia/)

DianaK
04-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Marilyn

You can get your period back.My onc has talked to me about this.I have been getting Lupron shots for over 2 years-with seeming no end in sight.I am 47 now.He said that I could be on lupron for 8 years-natural menopause in this country is between 50 and 55.He suggests that I remove my ovaries-I don't want to.So, it is possible that your ovaries have started working again-as crazy as it seems-but do as Becky said.You certainly do not want to assume anything.Diana

John21
04-13-2007, 06:52 AM
My wife has taken Lupron in the past. You would of thought all the Chemo would of put her into menopause, but it starts right up again. Once the Lupron stops, the period begins. Funny, after all the years of being irregular, she is is pretty regular now. We prefer to stop it because of the hormone production. But her Doctor right now is not concerned.( I am!)

Hope this Helps!

Marilyn
04-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Thank you everyone. I guess I'm just young at heart and my body is not ready to be done with the ovaries working--I am. :-) At any rate it helps to hear that others have gone through this and I guess I'll just wait and see what the doctors say. Have a good weekend everyone!