PDA

View Full Version : Bad News and Good News!

TriciaK
04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello to all you fellow Amazon Warriors! I just have to let you know what has been happening in my fight against the Beast. In January a PET scan showed a large mass in the lower left lung, where the Her2 BC mets showed up after a heart attack in June, 2004. (I had been on herceptin, navelbine and femara and was NED after 15 months of treatment, even though my heart showed more damage). We did a bronchoscopy, which didn't show malignancy, but the lung doctor felt that because of the mass she couldn't examine all of the lung. She reccommended a needle biopsy. I didn't want to do it right then, so we set up another PET scan in 2 months to check it again. I caught a cold in February, and seemed to go down hill after that. An echocardiogram showed that my ejection fraction was under 40, which shocked me because I had had a successful triple bypass last May, and had really felt better. For the past three weeks I grew weaker and weaker, could hardly breathe or even walk, had no appetite, and lost 10 lbs. They did another echo and found my ef was now below 35. Finally my cardiologist and primary care doctor decided I needed to be in the hospital, so I went in Monday morning. They put me on IV liquids with potassium and vitamins and so on, since I seemed to be very dehydrated. They did a brain MRI Tuesday because of the dizziness and weakness, It was clear! This morning they planned a needle biopsy of the lung. THey did a CT scan first. The doctor told me after a while (it seemed like forever) that they had decided not to do the needle biopsy because the scans showed in comparison with the January scan that the mass had shrunk to 1/6, and they felt that it was not worth the risk of the needle biopsy when the mass was so much smaller! What good news! So they sent me home! They are suspecting that the mass is left over from the pnuemonia, and will watch it closely.
I will need to take large amounts of coreg and diovan, coQ10 and fish oil, plus exercise to build my heart back up. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate them. Because of my age I can't run or do heavy exercise, but I can walk and use my mini trampoline, and I will. We also are on a 70% alkaline diet with lots of veggies, wild caught fish and little meat or dairy.
I just wanted you all to know that we just have to keep fighting! You are all survivors and do so much to help one another. In June I will have survived my third year since the her2 lung mets and the heart attack, and will be in my 22nd year since my original BC diagnosis in 1985. I believe in positive thinking, self-hynosis and prayer, and appreicate this website more than I can ever express. It has given me the understanding friendship, wonderful stories and prayers, and all the marvelous information I have needed to keep fighting, even at the age of 77! I love and admire you all, and especially appreciate Joe and Christine. You are in my prayers! Hugs, Tricia

Mary Jo
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Oh Tricia,

My heart couldn't be happier for you. I'm still smiling since reading your post. At first while reading it I found myself feeling scared for you but as the post continued on the corners of my mouth were lifting to form a HUGE smile.

Hope you continue to feel better each day.

God is good - Continue to be encouraged.

Hugs to you,

Mary Jo

tousled1
04-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Tricia,

What an ordeal you had to go through! I just happy that things seems to be okay now. Continue to do what the doctor says. I believe in the power of prayer and will keep you in my prayers.

sassy
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
My best to you Tricia--you are an inspiration to us all.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
________
Loraine (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Loraine/)

Jean
04-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Dear Tricia,

I am just in awe of you! You live life so fully. What a very special Lady you are!
Of course I will keep you in my prayers - I believe with your strong spirit you
will have your heart back up to speed in no time. Wishing you all the best.

Hugs,
Jean

Lolly
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Tricia, you are a beacon of light to us, and to know you are gaining strength and fighting this latest "set-back" means so much to me...thanks more than I can say for the update, and keep that spirit alive!!

<3 Lolly

Catherine
04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Tricia,
Thanks for the update. It sounds like your doctors are taking very good care of you. I went to a cancer nutrition class today at my hospital. For putting on weight they recommend nutbutters. Like almondbutter. Get the kind that do not have alot of sugar. They said eat organic whenever you can. 5-9 veggies and or fruits a day. Fish 2-3 times a week. Alot of this you probably already know.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Keep the beast in his cage. I, too, feel so lucky to be a part of this website.

Take care, Catherine

chrisy
04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow Tricia! What a ride. Very scary, I'm sure - and very much a relief to "only" have to deal with getting your heart back up to snuff. Shouldn't take too long, because you have a WONDERFUL heart, to go with your spirit. And I always knew you had a "clear head", now you have the MRI to prove it!

Sounds like you have a good plan with the CoQ10 and fish oil, you might ask your doctor if it would be advisable to add some potassium as well. And of course, keep on truckin with the walking; that's the best exercise anyway.

Take care and get well quick!

Much love
Chris

Vanessa
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
So glad to hear your good news. I agree that you are an inspiration!!! Best wishes for continued succeed. As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Andi
04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm glad the mass turned out to be something other than b/c. You are such a guiding light to me - all of your trials and tribulations with this disease, plus your heart issues, and yet you always seem to have such a positive attitude. You are a fighter and I know you will win this battle. I found that after my lung mets and surgery over Christmas, that walking has helped me gain my strength back. The good thing about walking is that most anyone can do it. You are in my prayers!

Adriana Mangus
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Dear Tricia:

People like you help me going strong on the fight against the beast. I have been down so many times, but just pick myself up and fight even more when I hear stories such as yours.

I want you to know, YOU are such an inspiration to me. When I become depressed and my faith in God starts failing I think of you and your long battle against breast cancer and I just say to myself that if you have been able to survive this long, me too, I can do it. You keep me motivated to continue with my treatment(s), to continue planning for the future along with my husband and daughter, and to continue dreaming that one day, maybe one day there will be a magical medicine to help us all stay healthy a lot longer, for many many years into the future...God Bless you. I keep you in my prayers.

P.S. Just wanted to say that I love St. George, little cold but beautiful....

Kim in CA
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Dear Tricia,

It's so good to hear from you! You are truly one of my Heros! It sounds like you are doing all the right stuff and I'm sure you will come back strong once again.

Love Kim in CA

hutchibk
04-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Adriana (and all others here) I couldn't agree more. Tricia you are such an
inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story. You give me such hope that we can keep finding ways to kill, shrink, stabilize, and manage the recurrances whenever we find them.

Tricia - would you be willing to share your alkaline diet with us?

RhondaH
04-12-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm SO sorry that you've been going through this, but am glad you are on the mend. BIG, BIG huggs to you. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Shell
04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Tricia-

I join the others in thanking you for your inspirational message - I needed it today as I started a new treatment. I hope you will continue to gain physical strength.

Thanks and kind regards,

Esther
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Tricia, you have been through alot lately, hope you turn the corner soon and have better times coming your way.

Keep us posted on how things go for you.

Soccermom
04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Warm caring wishes for your strength and healing,Tricia. I too hope better days are soon on the way for you!
Marcia

suzan w
04-13-2007, 08:22 AM
You are my HERO!!! Stories like yours are the inspiration that we all need! Hope all is going well.

tammymarie1971
04-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Tricia...How nice to see your post...you sure have been through some "stuff"...but thank you for sharing your strength with us...I hope you live to be 107!!!What a story you have!!
Tammy

Rupali
04-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Tricia,

Have you considered Chelation therapy. Chelation is good for heart as well as for the cancer.
The bypass is just a plumbers job without addressing the chemical composition of your body. Why in first place did you get blocked arteries and has bypass solved that problem or just delayed it. Just question that to yourself.
I think you should go into the care of an experienced alternative medicine practioner and discuss if in your case chelation would help.
They did a bypass on my dad 3 years back but his BP still always stayed at 145/95. When he questioned the cardiologist that with bypass this should become normal now, they just said its fine. Tehn we met a doctor who practiced inetgartive medicine and he put him on 10 rounds of chelation (1 every week) and his BP came back to 130/80. He feels much better and he and me both think now that why did we get the bypass done.

dawn
04-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Tricia,

You are what gives us all INSPIRATION!!! I hope that when I'm 77, (and I plan on fighting this and with God's help living that long), that I have your attitude, stamina and fight. You are truly one of the leaders to be looked up to here.

Thank you

Dawn

TriciaK
04-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Thank you for all your comments! It is so good to share good news with one another. My brother-in-law, when he heard I was back out of the hospital and on the mend again, emailed me: "You have done it again! I think you should donate your body to science for study, if you ever die!" He's been around for the whole 22 years of ups and downs, so I thought his comment was really amusing! Hugs to all, Tricia

Cathy1
04-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi Tricia

You're just a baby at 77! My mom is 86 and is getting 10 radiations for back pain. They say they can control it with radiation. It worked last time for her.
About your heart- There is a woman where I get my chemo that had cancer and heart trouble also. Her heart was so bad that she was on a transplant list. They were unable to find a heart for her and it's a good thing, because she joined the Wellness Center while she was waiting for the heart and they put her on and exercise program. The heart repaired itself so much through the exercise, that she didn't need a new one after all!
You are a great inspiration and a true warrior! Keep praying and thinking positive. It's just another bump in the road! God Bless You, Cathy

TriciaK
04-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Cathy, thank you for your post! Your mom sounds great, and I agree about the exercise. I've been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and heart failure, and the cardiologist believes the herceptin probably contributed. But after the heart attack and then BC mets to my lungs, I had a choice of dying from the her2 cancer or risking damage from the herceptin. Needless to say, I chose the herceptin! They have now put me on a high dose of coreg cr twice a day and I feel much better. I am walking every day and hope to build my heart back up too!
Of course, I would rather dance than walk so hope to work up to that point soon ! Say hi to your mom for me! Hugs, Tricia

mamacze
04-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Dear Tricia,
I haven't logged on for awhile, and I was so very happy to read your post and update; but absolutely dazed at trying to imagine the rollar coaster ride you have been on. It sounds like you have been working hard just trying to balance the damage from the Herceptin with all the work you are doing to keep your heart in acceptable shape. Of course all of this is just secondary to your uplifting spirit which is such a motivator to your buddies here.
Tricia, I too have had some damage to my heart after 3 years on Herceptin. My MUGA had dropped to 55%...I followed my cardiologists suggestions to elevate my heart rate 1 hour per day and of course load up on flax, omega 3's, salmon, etc, coQ 10...which I did and last week; (6 months later) my most recent MUGA measured 65%! So it can be done...but your heart is precious so exercise with care!
God speed and continue with spirits lifting! You are such a role model for us!
Love Kim from CT

Joy
04-22-2007, 09:12 AM
It is so loving of you Tricia to take time out of your life to share your triumphs and any troubles. You embody such grace and peace in the face of some very ugly things. I want to learn to do that and you are a great role model. TAKE GOOD CARE-I love St. George, by the way!