PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully Share Some Encouragement

IRENE FROM TAMPA
04-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I just returned from seeing my onc. for results from my scan. Last time scanned was three months ago. I started the Tykerb/Xeloda trial in August of last year.

My blood work was good. My CEA is 2 and my 27-29 came down to 41(close to the normal range)

The smaller of the two tumors I had is not shown any longer and the bigger one is down to about 15 mm which I think is about 1.5 cm??

Nothing else showing anywhere else in my body. Needless to say, I am very pleased as I usually do not go past 7-8 months on any one drug.

I will be rescanned in June and see how it's going then.

I feel great except for of course the hand/foot thing which sometimes is worse then others. Small price to pay....

My onc told me today that he thinks that there are some trials going on combining Tykerb with Herceptin and also some other combo's which gives more options. This is good news also

This was good news for me today and hope this gives encouragement to those beginning on this combo. We never know just how long any of these drugs will work on us (with some luck a cure for some of us) but it gets us more time for something else to come out.

Good luck to all

Becky
04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Great news for you Irene. I am happy that you are stable with some shrinking mets.

I remember when you started (and went promptly to Italy without knowing how you would feel). But you did great then and continue to do so. You are very encouraging to all of us.

Big hug to you

Mary Jo
04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm so happy for you Irene. What a wonderful day this must have been for you.

Hugs and God's Love I send,

Mary Jo

Andi
04-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Great news, Irene! I follow your posts and you do give me encouragement!

chrisy
04-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Great news, Irene - and yes, very encouraging, thank you for sharing. Don't forget to take some time to savor the moment!

Much love
chris

Joy
04-10-2007, 06:44 PM
What wonderful news and remember what Chrisy said so you enjoy this good thing yourself. But, I have to say, I needed your news too-thank you!!!

rinaina
04-10-2007, 07:20 PM
What terrific news Irene. It is so nice to hear good news on here as it lifts everyone's spirits. You are a real inspiration and trooper. Hope to continue to hear nothing but positive news from you.

tousled1
04-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Great news Irene! You are truly an inspiration. Praying that this combo continues to work for you.

Lolly
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Irene, you HAVE given me valuable encouragement today, thank you for that. It's so wonderful to know this combo is working for you, and for those of us contemplating starting Tykerb it's so helpful to hear this.
Thanks again.

<3 Lolly

Bev
04-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Way to go. Sounds positive to me. Bev

Jean
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Dear Irene,
E grande da vedere le buone case aceadere ad una buona donna!
It is great to see good things happen to a good woman!

Il Dio Benedice (God Bless)
Jean

StephN
04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Dear Irene -

I am REALLY happy to hear you have had such great results.
I will be curious to see WHO this drug does work for. Meaning what sort of cell biology will respond the best. Your story should add to that in some meaningful way.

Have you ever met Dr. Edith Perez from the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville (I think that is where)?? She has been instrumental in research with Herceptin and I am sure is also on the track of Tykerb. Don't know if she sees patients, but she would sure be interesting for you to talk to.

hutchibk
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Wow! - congratulations Irene... yippee Tykerb/Xeloda!

And thank you for posting this with hopes of it being encouraging! It is definitely encouraging to me. I've been on the rollercoaster for the last few days since I learned of my brain mets and am now waiting for the PET to be scheduled and my oncs to decide on our next course. It looks like it will be stereotactic rads and a switch from Herc/Taxol to Tykerb/Xeloda.

RhondaH
04-11-2007, 07:24 AM
this may be "your" silver bullet... prayers will continue for you and all. Take care and BIG huggs.

Rhonda

Shell
04-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Irene-

That is great news - and I remember your planning for the trip to Italy as well... I hope to go back on tykerb shortly - in the meantime I hope it keeps working for you.

Kind regards,