PDA

View Full Version : ? Wondering WHY I was not given RADS..

Soccermom
04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Dear ladies (and gents)
I have been reading about so many (with similar tumor profiles)that received radiation after their masts. I am wondering (better late than never I suppose) WHY I didnt have rads? My largest tumor was located next to my chest wall and prior to masts my surgeon had said that he might have to remove the tissue beneath the skin and in front of the ribcage (fascia). In the end he did not ,but I was left with skin so thin that the slightest scratch causes to bleed.
I know he had no alternative...but am still wondering about what the criteria for recieving rads is/was? I am sure my Onc told me at the time,but as with all things pre chemo,its a bit of a blur.

Thanks for your responses!
Marcia

CPA
04-06-2007, 06:05 AM
It may have come down to the pathology report after surgery. If the surgeon was able to achieve clear margins (no bad cells at the edge of the tissue he removed) then he and the radiologist may have decided to skip radiation and go strictly with chemo. Did you get a copy of your path report?

Soccermom
04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Yes I did, and yes there were clear margins...but i had multi foci ., lymphovascular invasion and 1 (4mm) node positive for metastices.

Thanks for responding,CPA!

Warmly, Marcia

Debra
04-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Marcia -

My largest tumor was 3.8 cm and a smaller one was 9 mm. I had microinvasion in one node. I did not have radiation as well. They it was explained to me (even though I too may have not been in "clear mind" when this was all being decided) was that many oncologists recommend the radiation with multiple nodes such as 3 or more.
Also, my cancer was on the left and there are risks to the heart when irridiating that side so they weigh the pro's with con's when there is only 1 or 2 nodes involved.
My guess is with you, they were able to clean those margins more then anticipated.
I too have wondered once or twice if I should have had the rads but I also question if I should be on an AI instead of tamoxifan and if I should have had my AC every two weeks instead of 3! I am never going to be satisfied!!! But that is just me; we will always question!
Maybe bring that question up one more time to your oncologist when you see him/her just for your own piece of mind.

Malena
04-06-2007, 10:09 AM
The same for me! I had a 4 cm tumors and 1 node with micromets, but the border was clear. The tumor was on the right. They did not give me rads.

Jean
04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Marcia,
Please update all of us as this is a very good question.

Wishing you the best.
Jean

Soccermom
04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks all...I have my bone scan and CTs on April 25th and will see my Onc on May 1st. I will put thi soine my list of questions.

Hugs,Marcia

Melinda
04-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Marcia,
This link may help give y ou some answers or at best give you the right questions to ask your ONC. It is a site that I have personally found very helpful and is sponsered by my own radiologist from Main Line Health in Philadelphia.
The entire booklet for both pathology reports and treaments can be downloaded free. http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment.html.
Hope this helps, and dont forget... I'll be happy to send you some soft pretzels and Tastykakes!
Keep the faith
Melinda

Soccermom
04-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Ooooo, THANKS, Melinda!YUMMMMM

Hugs,Marcia

Mary Jo
04-14-2007, 05:45 PM
I had a 4.5 cm tumor in my right breast. Mastectomy - margins were clear and nothing else found in breast. ONE microscopic cell in 1st sent. node and 2nd node was clear. The reason I had rads is because at the time of surgery, when both sent. nodes were checked my husband was told the nodes were clear. When pathology report came back they said they found just ONE microscopic cell in my 1st node (amamzingly and thankfully it was found) - My surgeon and I agreed that I was not going to let them go back in and remove more. We were both confident that we wouldn't find anymore and quite honestly, I simply didn't want more nodes removed. So even though I went through chemo, all were in agreement that the additional benefit of rads to that area, breast area, back/shoulder and middle of chest area was something I needed to do to cover all my bases.

Mary Jo

saleboat
04-15-2007, 08:10 AM
I think it is pretty standard to forgo rads if there are fewer than two positive lymph nodes.

Funny, I am in a state of regret that I had radiation. I just developed lymphedema, which I'm sure the rads contributed to...with 15 positive nodes, they really zapped me. These treatments are not risk-free, so you may want to count yourself lucky that you were able to safely avoid them.

Jen