PDA

View Full Version : Question on Tumor Markers

Stephanie B.
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I was wondering how tumor markers work. I was first dx with Stage IIIA BC Her2+ in Dec 2004. I had a lumpectomy followed by a mascectomy a week later with lymph node dissection (27 of 29 had cancer). My original PET Scan showed something on my liver, but after AC/Taxol followed by 5 months of Herceptin they were gone. I went on Tamoxifen for 6 months and another PET scan showed the spots again and my tumor markers went up (not sure of #). I went on weekly herceptin in November and my markers started going down - as low as 40.5. Another PET in Feburary showed the spots were still there and my markers were up so they started me back on Taxol every 2 weeks while continuing the weekly Herceptin. Well I got a call today that my blood work showed that my markers had gone up since last month and were now at 78.4. This has my nurse concerned and she has scheduled an appt for me to see my onc on Monday. Is this number high? I know I have heard of some people having markers in the high 700 so I am really confused. If anyone can help explaing these markers to me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Stephanie B.

Mary Anne in TX
04-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi Stephanie!

It depends on which test you are given. I take the CA 27-29 each time I go and for that test, 70 something was high for me. But most of the tests are just guides and not precise enough to determine recurrence without scans, etc. For some the tumor marker tests are fairly accurate and a true indicator. They can also be influenced by other things. When you go, get a copy of the name of the test and what all your scores have been and how well they indicate your disease.
I don't know what your results will mean, but I know that for a while I lived by the scores and about went nuts. My job is to monitor my own disease with the help and direction of my onc, but I try very hard to just forget those awful marker tests until I have to go talk about them again.
Best wishes for great results, whatever you must do to stay healthy. ma