PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Rendi69CA
03-31-2007, 07:57 PM
I am so confuse. I was diagonis met to pleural effussion in Aug 2004. I had several thoracentesis and differnt hormonal therapy. March 2006 met to rib bone and start zometa and herceptin. The last two thorcacentesis was bloody and I was told the cancer is eating away the lining. January 2007 mets to liver. Now I am willing to do chemo and the doctor want let me. He want to try diffrent horm therapy and he want to control the bleeding and less side effects. That is true, I been on so many horm thepary, herceptin, zometa and the cacncer is spread. Do you think it is time for me to do chemo or my Onc isn't telling me something.

Sherryg683
03-31-2007, 11:07 PM
I would definately think it's time to bring out the big guns and do stronger chemo if you are able to take it..sherryg683

doh2pa
04-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi Rendi,

I think it sounds like a good time for a second opinion. I love my oncologist and he's been keeping me alive and well for 3 years. However, whenever I am at a crossroads and have to make a decision about treatment, I listen to his suggestions then go somewhere else for a second opinion (I have a regular second opinion onc at a major medical center in the area). My primary onc is fine with this and even keeps my second onc up to date on my treatment and how I am doing via regular letters. It works well and I feel like I am making the most informed decisions possible.

Hope this helps.
Donna

Mary Anne in TX
04-01-2007, 08:35 AM
If a 2nd opinion will give you peace of mind and allow you to return to the belief that all that can be done is, then do it girl! Peace of mind is so important as we do battle with this disease. And you deserve to feel like the treatment you are receiving is the best for you. Best wishes and good luck, Rendi.

chrisy
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree, might be time for a second opinion. Being close to LA you could probably get access to some pretty impressive oncologists - and at least one or more differing opinions from each one!

It sounds like you also may need to press for an answer to your question, WHY not recommend chemo at this point? I doubt your doctor is deliberately withholding information from you, you may just need to ask the right questions. He/she may have reasons and should be able to explain.

If you get additional information/opinions and decide now is the time for bigger guns, know that you will be able to handle it!

Take care
Chris

Shell
04-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Have you asked him specifically why he wouldn't want to try something like navelbine or taxotere?

Also, I am like the others, in that I always get a second opinion when I am at a cross-roads and need to make a major treatment decision. I don't always go with the same person, but rather tend to look at their area of expertise.

Good luck,

Becky
04-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Dear Rendi

I think its time for a second opinion consultation. There are plenty of fine resources in Southern California. Go for it. I will be thinking of you.