PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Tumor Markers

LOPSIDED
03-31-2007, 11:40 AM
A FEW WEEKS AGO, I HAD SURGERY TO REMOVE 2 OVARIAN TUMORS. MY TUMOR MARKER WAS 2000 BEFORE SURGERY. HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCH A HIGH SCORE. I'VE HEARD OF OTHER PATIENTS HAVING THEM IN THE HUNDREDS, BUT NEVER 2000. AFTER SURGERY, IT DROPPED TO 254. THEY SENT ME FOR CT SCAN OF THE ABDOMEN & PELVIS AND I SHOULD HEAR FROM THAT NEXT WEEK. WHEN MY SURGEON DID THE SURGERY, HE SAID EVERYTHING LOOKED GOOD IN THE ABDOMEN. BUT FOR MY SCORE TO STILL BE 254, I ASSUME THERE MUST BE MICROSCOPIC CELLS AND THAT IS WHAT MY ONCOLOGISTS IS LOOKING FOR, I FEEL LIKE A TICKING TIME BOMB. HE STARTED ME ON A SHOT OF FASLODEX ONCE A MONTH AND SAID THAT SHOULD HELP BRING THE SCORE DOWN. ANYBODY ELSE TAKING FASLODEX? ANY SYMPTOMS WITH IT?

KellyA
03-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Dear Sheila,

I can't tell you about the Faslodex, but my very dear friend (actually my angel through this entire experience) was treated for ovarian cancer. Prior to surgery, her marker (Ca 125, I think) was 2800. After surgery, it was in the high 100's, and after all treatment, it was 9. That was 2 1/2 years ago and today she is doing wonderfully and a "triathlete fool". I wish you all the best on your next doctor's appt. and will be saying a prayer for you.

Love, Kelly

Grace
03-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I recently had lunch with a friend of a friend who also had breast cancer. I was complaining about my 27-29 of 45 and she told me hers was in the thousands. I don't remember exact number but I think it was over 3,000. She's doing fine and looked great. My oncologist keeps telling me "don't sweat the markers," but I know it's difficult not to.