PDA

View Full Version : MRI for high risk/new recommendation

Grace
03-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Many of you know this but for those of you who don't, here is an article regarding the recent recommendation of the American Cancer Society--that women in high risk groups get yearly MRI (appaently, together with mammogram):

New Screening Guidelines

The American Cancer Society is now recommending MRI screening in addition to mammograms for women who meet at least one of the following conditions:

— have a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation

— have a relative (parent, sibling, child) with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation, even if they have yet to be tested themselves

— lifetime risk of breast cancer has been scored at 20 percent to 25 percent or greater, based on one of several accepted risk assessment tools that look at family history and other factors

— had radiation to the chest (usually as a treatment for other cancers) between the ages of 10 and 30

— have Li-Fraumeni syndrome, Cowden syndrome or Bannayan-Riley-Ruvalcaba syndrome, or may have one of these syndromes based on a history in a close relative

For some women, however, the ACS says the jury is still out on whether MRI screening is beneficial, even though they have conditions that do give them a higher-than-average risk of breast cancer. The guideline says there still isn't enough evidence to recommend for or against MRI screening in women who:

— have a 15 percent to 20 percent lifetime risk of breast cancer, based on one of several accepted risk assessment tools that look at family history and other factors

— have lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) or atypical lobular hyperplasia (ALH)

— have atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH)

— have very dense breasts or unevenly dense breasts (when viewed on a mammogram)

— have already had breast cancer, including ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)

Let's hope our insurance companies go along!
<input name="searchType" value="zipcall" type="hidden"><input name="refUrl" value="" type="hidden"><input name="txtSearchValue" id="txtSearchValue" value="Call Letters" onclick="clearField();" onblur="fillField();">

StephN
03-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I have.

These new guidelines were front page news on my city's paper. Quite a surprise as I strolled through the corridor on the hospital to visit my Dad and seeing those headlines.

In Dec. of 2000 I had a breast MRI - one on each side on different days. This was done between my excisional biopsy and my final surgery. It was my medical oncologist who ordered them. He also wanted to know for staging purposes as I had a PET scan as well. Once the path report was back on the biopsy the fight against HER2+++ began in earnest.

I wonder now if I will get them again under these new guidelines. I will see my med onc in mid April and have this on my discussion list already. She may think that a PET/CT is enough.

P.S. I did not have reconstruction of any kind and have most of my original breasts.