PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Fosamax

Liz J.
03-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone has an alternative to using fosamax. I was prescribed this several months ago as I was told that the post menopausal/arimidex status would cause osteo. Fortunately, so far my bone density has been ok. I keep reading about the possible side effects of fosamax and have not taken it yet. Just getting concerned that it will catch up with me. I take calcium supplements. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz J.

suzan w
03-26-2007, 09:02 AM
I took actonel because fosomax upset my stomach, but then after my dx, because my treatments are hard on the bones, my onc. put me back on fosomax(she thinks it is a little more effective) I had been diagnosed with severe osteoporosis in 1999...all my DEXA scans are horrid and I had all sorts of testing done at the time ('99) to see why my bones are so bad...nothing conclusive, except they felt that I had probably never achieved a 'good bone mass' as I was growing up??? Anyway...I used to get mad that I was going to get old and break my hip and blah blah blah...now I HOPE I do get OLD!!! Bring it on!!!

Jean
03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi Liz,

I was on Arimidex, then after chemo I am now on Femara.
When I started Armidex had a bone density test and I had
a very slight bone loss, osteopenia. I have been taking
Actonel since - have had a small improvement in bone
that was noted on recent bone density.

Hope this helps you.

Jean

astrid
03-26-2007, 09:42 AM
I just started taking Fosamax with no side effects. I am 49 years old. Fosamax is different from calcium. Osteoporosis actually causes your bones to thin and the density to weaken, creating holes in your bones, so fractures are more likely. Bones are continually being rebuilt, Fosamax helps build new bone mass. During Osteoporosis bone is removed or reabsorbed faster than it grows.

http://patients.uptodate.com/print.asp?print=true&file=endocrin/4619 <O:p></O:p>

astrid
03-26-2007, 09:43 AM
When estrogen levels fall, bone density (strength) starts to decline, and, over time, a woman can develop osteoporosis and even fractures. Several alternatives to HRT can help keep bones strong and even partially reverse osteoporosis, but effective treatment for established osteoporosis usually requires the combination of a supplemented diet, lifestyle changes, and medication.

Calcium — Calcium is an essential component of bones, and dietary calcium can help strengthen bones in postmenopausal women. However, calcium supplements alone cannot reliably prevent osteoporosis. All postmenopausal women should be sure to get 1500 mg of calcium each day. To get this amount of calcium, most women will need to eat a well-balanced diet and take a daily supplement that contains 1000 mg of calcium, usually in the form of calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, or an equivalent calcium compound.

Vitamin D — Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and incorporate calcium into bone. It is therefore also important for bone strength. Many older adults, particularly those over 70 years, have vitamin D deficiencies. Postmenopausal women under the age of 70 years should get at least 400 IU of vitamin D each day in their diet or with a vitamin supplement. Women over 70 years should take 800 IU of vitamin D. Some calcium supplements include vitamin D; patients should read the label to know the amount included.

Exercise — Bones remain stronger when they are used in day-to-day activities, and inactivity increases the rate of postmenopausal bone loss. At least 30 minutes of weight-bearing exercise three times a week can reduce this loss. Weight-bearing exercise includes activities such as walking, aerobics, or tennis, but does not include bicycling or swimming.

Alendronate, risedronate, and ibandronate — Alendronate (Fosamax), risedronate (Actonel), and ibandronate (Boniva) are prescribed for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. They are able to prevent and reverse bone loss as effectively as estrogen

Lolly
03-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Good web site from University of Washington:

Osteoporosis and Bone Physiology
http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/ophome.html

Grace
03-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Some recent research indicates that GERD medications may cause bone loss. Also, steroids cause bone loss but I'm sure you know about that. I've been on prevacid and prilosec for years now, and won't go off as the discomfort is too great. Anyway, in case you didn't know about the GERD medications.

Liz J.
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi all HER 2 family,

I appreciate the responses. Some great info. And to Grace, I didn't know about the GERD meds or steriods. I have also been on Nexium and now switched to Prilosec and this has been for years as well. I also take a steriod inhaler daily due to COPD. It looks like I should start staying more on top of things. I see you reside in Manhattan. I live in Brooklyn New York and work in lower Manhattan. Maybe the GERD thing is from the stress of City life (lol).
Thanks again to all.

Sincerely,

Liz J.