PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin, bad dose!

Grace
03-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Yesterday, I had my six-month infusion of herceptin. Other than when I was on chemo it's been very easy (minor issues, like cough, runny nose, nails, vision) but I always felt fine during and after. When I returned home yesterday I was incredibly tired, all day, and then last night I had a terrible time with diarreha (all night). I was also nauseous and still am. Twenty four hours later I still feel terrible. Has this happened to any of you out there? Could they have given me a higher dose or something in the beginning that is different from the past. If anyone has had this happened, I'd appreciate hearing. And did it happen again, or perhaps get worse?

Thanks.

janet11
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I've never had anything like that happen. If it was me, i'd call my onc.

StephN
03-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Grace, You may have a touch of the flu. But certainly report it.

I recall someone here a while back with a similar question and she was much better within 2 days. And hasn't has that complaint again that I have noticed.
Sure hope that is all it is. There is a thread on this board that goes into detail on how herceptin is kept in powder form and then mixed separately for each patient upon their arrival to the infusion area. Difficult to actually get a bad dose.

Hope you are feeling better by now.

rinaina
03-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Grace, I Felt Exactly Like You Did The Last Two Herceptin Treatments. Get Them On A Thursday Every 3 Weeks And The Last Two Times I Felt Like I Had The Flu But It Wasn't. Lasted The Entire Weekend But Then By Monday, Much Better.

hutchibk
03-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I think I read on another thread about asking them to reconstitute the Herceptin with saline - after someone had a bad reaction... I will look for it.

Lolly
03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Grace, I hope it's nothing more than a touch of the flu, although flu is no fun. I usually just have the tiredness and achey joints, sniffles and sometimes a slight headache when I have Herceptin.
But as Steph says, best to call your onc and report.

<3 Lolly

Grace
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks all,

I did call my usual chemotherapy nurse (she was off yesterday) and she checked my file--same dose as before, nothing different, other than my reaction. I slept the entire day, ate nothing until late evening, and now I'm feeling better. No doubt it was a reaction to the herceptin and I've just been lucky up until now. How nice, though, to have all you folks to complaint to. Much appreciated.