PDA

View Full Version : verdict out to some

rinaina
03-15-2007, 08:03 PM
After seeing both my onc and surgeon in a one week time frame, it seems both of them, (at different hospitals by the way), feel that there is still more to learn and find out about tykerb,(lapatinib), before they can be comfortable with it. They both commented on the way the trial was done and said there was a missing arm to the trial that should have been run. They both said it will be some time before they will know for sure tykerb's place in treating her2 breast cancer. Anyone else get this? My onc and surgeon are big pioneers in breast cancer and extremely highly regarded in Chicago area.

Sheila
03-16-2007, 04:19 AM
RINAIANA
I got the same from my onc. at Rush...she was one of the first to give Herceptin...but she isn't ready to jump on the bandwagon on Tykerb!

MichelleMoon
03-16-2007, 04:59 AM
...because there's evidence it crosses the blood/brain boundary and I just finished WBR treatment. The Tykerb won't blast existing tumor but can help prevent recurrence of brain mets. Last time I saw him, he was not sure of the role Herceptin would play in my treatment. I'll see him in mid April and will let you know.

Mary Anne in TX
03-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Although I am not qualified, I don't think, for Tykerb, I am very interested in what others doctors recommend for now! It's like getting appointments for tons of 2nd opinions for me! Thank you for sharing! ma

rinaina
03-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I believe we all have to follow the directions of our own onc and believe he knows best for us. My post about tykerb was in no way meant to be passing on an opinion for others to follow. It was just to share which is what I thought this forum was for.

Mary Anne in TX
03-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Oh, Rinaina! I was just talking figuratively! I do trust my onc. But it helps to have questions to ask to learn more. No problem for me. ma

rinaina
03-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Oh good Maryanne because I didn't want you to think I was trying to discourage anyone including you.

Linda
03-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Rinaina:
Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate all info on this new drug. I'm sure there are lots of different POV's from different oncs right now, and it's really helpful to know as much as we can.
Linda