PDA

View Full Version : Another step along our journey...

MGordon
03-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I hope that I am not becoming boring or even worse cumbersome, but I wanted share yet another development for the Lisa K. Lowe Memorial Foundation that occured today. SO SOON! I am simply amazed how fast things can happen, and I truly hope I am up to the task of keeping up. (Pray for me and the board). Start the paperwork on Friday and have major news by Monday, WOW...

I was called into a meeting at work today. If I have not shared how supportive my work (Policy Studies Inc.) has been on me recent journey I have been extremely remiss. I would love to share EVERYTHING they've done at some point - just ask and I'll cry over my keyboard while I type (from over a month of "donated' time off from fellow employees - some that I've never met - to attendance at Lisa's Memorial by co-workers that never had even met Lisa...) Trust me when I say I was divinely "instructed" to have the empolyer I have today. This could be a lenghtly thread all by itself, but I want to relate what happened today...

Anyway, I was called into this meeting to discover that my company hosts a charitable golf tournament every year (this will be the 4th annual) and this year that want to claim the Lisa K. Lowe Memorial Foundation as their charity of record. Imagine my breathless state as I am introduced to my C-Level (CEO, CFO, CIO, etc) leadership and I am tasked with sharing the Love and Light of Lisa Lowe. 10 million words cannot express the value of her life to her community, much less 1 Billion words to me her spouse! (Overkill you say - GUESS AGAIN).

Anyway, even though the event is Denver local, they want to direct funds into our foundation! I was trying to be realistic and pointed out that our 501-3c paperwork is not even approved by the IRS yet. Solution, they will identify a secondary local charity and will to split the funds 50/50 if I can get the paperwork done - or 100% to the other charity if I can't.

I immediately voulnteered to work on the board - even though I do not play golf. After 29 years in IT, most in the Denver market, I have a "few" contacts with companies like Microsoft, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, etc that I hope to help make this their biggest event EVER.

Pray that the IRS gets their groove on! The golf tournament is scheduled for early August, and if we can get "our house in order" this could mean a quick $15K+ to START!!!!

Your prayers, your love, your support, are all getting this rolling faster than I could have dreamed possible. WOW!

Thanks for your awesome support and love...

Love and Light
Mel

P.S.
I had just a little glimpse of what Joe has in store for the future of this website and all I can say is WOW - watch out!!!

LnL-Mel

tousled1
03-12-2007, 10:01 PM
What an amazing story Mel. You are an amazing man and Lisa certainly was so fortunate to have you as her caregiver. I'm positive that all things will work out and that things will be in place by August. What a wonderful gift both to Lisa and all those who will be helped by your efforts. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sheila
03-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Mel

How about tapping into the McDonalds Market for this...my sister in law works for their corporate office here in Illinois as an IT supervisor....the more the merrier!

rinaina
03-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Mel, you never cease to amaze me and I guess you amaze many given your latest news and support from work. What you are organizing and accomplishing in such a short amount of time is spectacular and incredible. I didn't know Lisa well as I joined the support forum shortly after being diagnosed in April 2006 but I did get such positive responses from Lisa and read her many uplifting and sometimes humorous posts and replies, enough to know what a special person she was. All that you are doing in her memory is a testament to just how dear and special Lisa was. I have such respect and admiration for you and all you are doing. Once again, hats off to you and definitely the world could use a lot more Mels like you.

Emelie
03-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Way to go Mel..
I hope the IRS can accomplish what they need to do in order for this to be a reality. I did not know Lisa, but she sounds like she was one incredible woman. I hope to be moved to Denver by late June or early July so perhaps I will be able to help out. I don't golf, but I can do just about anything. Also, bringing my college daughter with me to help get settled. She too, is a wiz with organization, calling folks, anything you need.
Good luck Mel, and I look forward to meeting you.
Emelie

caya
03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Mel,

You are an amazing man, I'm sorry I never "met" Lisa (by the way, my middle name is Lisa) - but I wasn't diagnosed until Oct. 2006 and didn't join the site here until Jan. 2007 .
I have read your posts and commend you on your continued involvement with this awful disease.
I wish you all the best with this - I hope your IRS can get moving on this for you...
Best of luck
Caya in Canada

Bev
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
God, Help this man on his mission! BB