PDA

View Full Version : aranesp

MCS
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
some insurance carriers are opting not to pay for aranesp- for low red blood counts manufactured by amgen.

some recent article found that it could hurt you more than help us.

for me, it was fantastic during chemo.

this is just fyi. ask your provider if it is covered and write to fda and amgen to be covered.

mcs ( maria)

margo
03-09-2007, 07:11 AM
I had a similar problem with my insurance company and cancer center. I am 2 years post-TCH and continuing on Herceptin weekly. My bone marrow does not make enough RBC's (or WBC's for that matter). I require Aranesp shots every 3 - 4 weeks, which is more expensive every year.

After speaking with my insurance company, the problem was that the cancer center was not coding the Aranesp injection correctly. The shot must be given at the same time as my weekly visit to Outpatient Chemo for Herceptin (which was the only time I was receiving the shot!).

The cancer center billing office was coding Aranesp as a separate treatment, so there was no insurance coverage. It has taken 10 months of many telephone calls to straighten out my billing.

Best Wishes,

Rupali
03-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Try to boost the RBC naturally. In my case the nutrionist found out that the Magnesium level was down. SO they put me on Magnesium supplement and that boosted the RBC.

Aranesp is just going to artificially boost the RBC.

margo
03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
My magnesium level is tested every week and it is normal. I will do some research regarding natural alternatives to raise my RBC level.

My oncologist/hematologist has stated that my bone marrow may be permanently damaged by 8 rounds of TCH. I have issues with my platelets and wbc's, as well.

All in all, I am relieved that my insurance is taking care of the cost.