PDA

View Full Version : What does non-amplified mean?

SonofaSurvivor
03-05-2007, 04:14 PM
My mom just came back from her last appointment before masectomy. She originally was told she was Her2 positive (2+). Not sure what that means so much...but now the docotr has said the last Fish test came back showing Her2 2+ but not amplified. What does this mean? (Or do you need more info..she said a lot was said but could only remember this..)

Grace
03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi,

You probably should get some more exact information, but it sounds as though she is not HER2 positive or minimally positive, which is good news. Or at least it's news that I would welcome regarding my own case.

Hope she fares very well with her sugery. It's great she has you to help her.

Lani
03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
the 2+ is by immunohistochemistry and measures the protein level of the ERBB2 (aka her2) receptor

the FISH test is a measure of the copies of the gene, rather than the protein.

Amplification refers to the fact that there are FAR TOO MANY copies of the gene, as if a broken record keeps playing the same phrase over and over again the gene keeps repeating itself.

Herceptin has been found to work in those who are FISH positive, so usually those who are her2 + are tested to see if they are FISH positive or not to see whether to recommend herceptin. (FISH testing takes more expertise and is more expensive, so often only the immunohistochemistry test is done first in order to avoid having to do FISH on all biopsy samples)

Hope this helps

CPA
03-06-2007, 05:53 AM
http://www.nccn.org/patients/fact_sheet.asp

Here is a good fact sheet about Her2 testing and result interpretation.

Melinda
03-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Just be SURE that the appropriate tests were done to establish this! Maybe do another FISH test. The ONCO test(expensive but worth it) will tell how much overamplification there is. Get a second test if there is any doubt about her status. HEr 2 is nothing to fool around with.... better to know what's up especially with the new courses of treatment that are available today... Herceptin. I hope the best for your Mom.
Melinda

Lolly
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
It's a good idea for your mom to start asking for copies of her reports (Pathology, IHC, FISH, any scans done such as PET/CT, MRI etc.). Most of us keep our medical reports in a file at home, as they're a really helpful reference when doing research on-line or going to a new doctor. If she doesn't want to deal with these things now, and that's a perfectly normal response, you could volunteer to be the Keeper of the Records :) It will save much backtracking down the road.
Also, we could be more helpful with more specific info.

<3 Lolly

Grace
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Best article I've come across in terms of defining HER2 and HER2 tests. Thanks again.