PDA

View Full Version : Arimidex and Pain

MJo
03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I have been on Arimidex for 8 months. For about six months I had very manageable aches and felt fortunate. Lately the pain in my ankles, feet and knees is getting stronger. I'm worried. If it gets any worse, I'm afraid I won't be able to walk easily. Did this progression happen to anyone. Did the pain get worse, better, stay the same?

Chelee
03-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I wasn't on the Arimidex, but I was on the Femara. It caused alot of pain. Sometimes I wondered if it was all due to the Femara, but now since my onc pulled me off of it over a month ago all those aches and pains are gone. Big difference. But I am very concerned about not being on any AI.

So I do think it is very possible its the Arimidex causing those problems. I've heard many other women complain about those same things. The things we have to do in order to keep "it" away.

Hang in there.

Chelee

tricia keegan
03-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I began Aeimidex last Sept and was okay until about two months ago when my back pain became very severe every day even when in bed and I began to walk like I was 90 instead of 47!
I insisted on a bone scan I was so worried which came back fine thankfully but even the two last fingers on each hand are so bad with neuropathy they just seem to "lock" and are very painful to stretch or move.
My Onc prescribed Condroitin/glucosamine but so far no improvement as my dexa scan showed bone loss I begin Fosamax next week.
I do still try to keep exercising usually swimming and walking but even in this I'm so much slower than I used to be.
I'm not sure what the answer is but am too nervous to stop taking it as it's preferable to the alternative of course,I just hope in time it gets easier.
You're definatly not alone in this!!
Tricia

Jean
03-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi MJO,

Yes, I had a lot of pain with the Arimidex, my ankles and feet, knees also just
like you. Also had pain in the upper neck and one shoulder. It was bad and
it was difficult in the mornings getting out of bed. What I found that helped
was exercise. But when I came off Arimidex (to go on Chemo) the pains stopped very quickly - so therefore for me the Arimidex was the culprit.

After chemo I discussed the pains with my onc. and Femara and Arimidex
are pretty much the same....but one drug can effect us differently and
I thought it was worth for me to try the Femara. I do not have the
pain I did on the Arimidex. It has been 90% better for me.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Jean

CLTann
03-04-2007, 07:27 AM
I had Arimidex as shown under my signature. The pains are gone after switching to Femera. Now I have a sciatic type of pain, which is not as bad as before.

MJo
03-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks, as usual. I have my 3 month checkup in april and will discuss. Meanwhile, I will try the glucosamin/chond. It's worth a try. I walk a mile five times a week. When I'm on level ground, all I get is aches. When I walk up a hill - even a low hill - I get stabbing knee pain. In the morning when I get up, I hobble around. Sometimes I feel like my ankles are going to snap in half.

I read about herceptin that doctors are finding more heart conditions in clinical practice than there were in clinical trials. Duhh. I bet doctors are gathering more reports of pain with AIs than there were in clinical trials. Still I am grateful that there is something to stop my cancer. So I will keep going as long as possible. Hopefully five years. Maybe something new will come along. Thanks again, ladies.

Sheila
03-04-2007, 10:00 AM
MJO

My Mom had been on Tamoxifen for some time when they desided to switch her to Arimidex....after 3 months they had to take her off it because of the leg, knee and back pain. She never had any of this on Tamoxifen. She is doing good now with nothing...was a 19 year survivor in January...she is not Her2 though, but she is my hero!