PDA

View Full Version : MUGAs' after Herceptin TX is completed?

Soccermom
03-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi there fellow Her2ers,
Was just wondering if others are having regular MUGAs after finishing Herceptin? I am not...although I did have an EKG prior to my surgery last week (almost said, "but I DID sleep in a Holiday Inn..." LOL .My Onc asked that the hospital fax her the results of the EKG...didnt know that an EKG would reveal anything about LVEF...hmmm...

Marcia

atdec05
03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I just had a final echo after my last Herceptin. Don't have any others scheduled as part of my followup.

- Anna

suzan w
03-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I did not have another MUGA after my last herceptin...my onc. felt it unnecessary as all the MUGAs during treatment were good.

MJo
03-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I had Herceptin for 9 months and stopped due to heart issues. Muga was 54 when we stopped. Came back six weeks later for another Muga. It was 55. Doctor was glad it didn't go down, and we agreed I was finished with Herc.

Woman in my Wellness Community Support Group finished 12 months Herceptin in Sept. 2006. Muga was 48. Five months later (Feb. 2007) she felt she wasn't getting energy back and got worried. Insisted on a Muga. It was 57. I was happy to hear that. I don't know if I'll ever go back up to 70, but I'd love to get to 60.

pinklady
03-08-2007, 06:30 AM
I had Muga after getting breathless following 9 herceptins. Muga was 45 so stopped Herceptin and put on Ramipril. Will have repeat Muga every 3 mths until cardiologist happy.

Emelie
03-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Can someone tell me what is Muga? I had an echo before starting Herceptin 9 tx ago. My heart seems to race at times. Has anyone else experienced this?

tousled1
03-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Emelie,

Both the MUGA and echocardiogram are tests to check heart function. A MUGA uses a dye whereas the eceho doesn't. My oncologist prefers the echo and I think it's just a doctor's preference. It is very important that you have it done every 3 months as Herceptin can cause your LVEF to drop. If your LVEF drops to 50% or lower Herceptin is stopped until LVEF comes back up.

Lolly
03-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I've had both MUGA's and Echo's to check LVEF function, and both are quite accurate methods, but I personally prefer the Echo as it's non-invasive. The MUGA involves an injection of a radio-active dye, and for the Echo the tech applies some gel to the chest and then moves the sonagram device around to get the picture of the heart.

<3 Lolly

Jackie
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I didn't have a Muga after Herceptin even though mine dropped during Herceptin enough to stop Herceptin for awhile. My Muga improved some and we were able to restart Herceptin at a lower dose. I am having some issues that we are presently checking our concerning my heart. I still have swelling in ankles and lower legs and my shortness of breath during any exersion isn't getting better. I exercise regularly so if it were from lack of exercise this would improve with time. I have been off chemo since 11/05 and finished Herceptin 8/06. My onc. is having be evaluated by a cardiologist.

Bev
03-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I prefer echo to MUGA as well. Emelie, I have had racing heartbeats and they attribute that to panic attacks.( Can be treated with meds or other techniques.) Could be other things, ie. anemia as well. Most get one test or the other every 3 months during Herceptin. So mention your symptoms next visit.
BB