PDA

View Full Version : Hair

SusanV
02-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Guys.... It has been almost 4 months since my last A/C (November 6th) and today I decided was the day to toss the wig and go for it with my new hair. I am at work right now, and everyone was very supportive. My hair is very short, but with some gel and a dose of courage I think it's going to be fine !

Just wanted to share my little milestone with you guys.

LOVE TO ALL

Andi
02-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Good for you! I remember the first time I went without my wig, I was complemented on my "new haricut" by a minister in a church that we were attending on vacation. That gave me so much confidence after that, I never even considered wearing my wig again. I hope you get the same kind of positive comments to help build your self confidence!

KellyA
02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Susan!

Congratulations on your hair! It felt funny for me at first, but quickly made me feel like I was getting back to my old self. I have gotten so many compliments on it short that I might just keep it that way! I also still have to use gel, but was able to get little highlights in it recently and was so excited to have a "style". You will be surprised at how quickly it does come in.

Love, Kelly

P.S.- I was also so excited to use shampoo instead of a bar of soap!!!!!

Mary Jo
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I, too, remember the day well. I remember sitting outside of work in my car saying to myself "you can do this." I did have on my pink Green Bay Packer hat though (baseball type) but like you all, received much support at work and once I did it I was fine with it. It was so liberating to lose that dang wig.

Mary Jo

caya
02-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi Susan,

Good for you - I have just had my second chemo so I am in Wig mode - did your hair grow in differently - my onc. told me it will be thicker and curlier - My original hair was very thick and curly - I wonder what will happen - also is the colour the same?

Thanks for sharing
Caya

rinaina
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I lost the wigs about 2 weeks ago. I am not crazy about the real tight curls and even gel doesn't help. In fact I haven't found a product that does and I have tried them all. I already had one haircut but it didn't do much for it. The curls are too tight to do anything with them. To make matters worse, when they tried to color it, my hair wouldn't take up the color so it is a mousy grey brown. I don't mean to sound like I am complaining because I really am glad to have hair again, but I will be happier when these curls relax a bit. I never had curly hair before and I really loved my hair prior to losing it. Sure hope it returns someday as it was because these tight curls are not very attractive to say the least.

Andi
02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
When I was taking chemo the first time, my chemo nurses told me of a little boy that they had that took chemo 4 different times and each time his hair returned in a different color! Mine came back with a lot more body and curls. I was always a natural blond, my hair is now quite dark. Several people I know had theirs come back kind of salt and pepper, but surprisingly, I didn't have any grey in mine. I have worn my hair short ever since it came back in. I really got to liking the ease of care and people kept saying they liked me in short hair.

Adriana Mangus
02-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I was diagnosed at age 38, my daughter was only 7, she's now 20 and in College (of course). Even though the cancer came back three years ago-it will be four years July 16, am grateful to be here thanks to God and Herceptin.

I remember when my hair came back, I attended the Office Christmas Party, and took a lot of pictures, you can always go back and say: Oh My God! iS IT REALLY ME! It's a lot of fun to have pictures taken throughout your growing hairs!! Glad to hear you're doing great.

P.S. I even had Glamour Pictures taken along with my daughter, love them!

SusanV
02-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses....I am here at work today smiling as I read each and every one. It is sooo great to have people who REALLY understand just what you are going through. I love having all of you to "talk" to :)

Funny...my hair is very short, straight like before and very dark. I had heard all the stories about getting curly hair after chemo, and I was sort of hoping for that for a funny reason. My 6 year old daughter has the most beautiful long curly hair (Not sure where she got it from ! ) Anyway, naturally she hates it, and wants straight hair. I was hoping to get some curly hair to be like her for a while so that we could both have curly hair ! No luck though......straight hair for me !!

Love to all of you

rinaina
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
you are the first person i heard of whose hair grew back curly. i thought everyone grew back curly. well, i guess we are never happy with the type of hair we have and we just need to learn to be happy we have hair at all! i keep telling myself that but there are days where these tight curls drive me crazy. i also came back very dark and grey. triple yucko as far as i am concerned. the color didn't take the first time so i am hoping the next time to have better success with that. you could always get a perm to look more like your daughter's hair.

juanita
03-01-2007, 05:42 PM
At first my hair was curly, but now it's back to normal. It's also darker with more grey streaks than before.

MGordon
03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Lisa lost her hair 3x (2 due to chemo and 1 due to WBR) and I know that hair/wig is a very personal decision - but Lisa decided she didn't like wigs and bald she was (her words) "A walking Pink Ribbon". It was amazing the number of people that would stop and chat - sometimes long chats while trying to run short errands! But every minute was worth it. Kids are priceless - they have not been too desensitized yet! I remember once a ~3-4 year old girl was staring at Lisa in the grocery store. Lisa got down on one knee and talked to her - as we walked off we heard her say "Dad - I think she's a girl..."

The funny part was when her hair grew back! Bald, everyone recognized her as a cancer fighter, but when her hair was growing back - the looks she got - they all thought she some some kind og GOTH person!

Anyway - congrats with the hair rebound, and although we've never met - I want to tell you YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Love and Light
Mel