PDA

View Full Version : Started Gemzar Today

Lolly
02-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi Gang;

I had a PET/CT earlier this month, and it showed progression to several more nodes in my right axilla. The radiation to that area last fall did serve to shrink the large mass some, but these new nodes that are showing activity are outside the radiation field, so we have to hit them with a new chemo. I stopped Xeloda last week in preparation for starting Gemzar today.

I'm going back to weekly treatment with Herceptin, and Gemzar will be 2 weeks on, 1 week off.

Am feeling somewhat weary tonight, but my hubby is really pampering me by waiting on me hand and foot :)

Will keep you posted on side effects, so far I don't feel too bad, but that may be the Zofran talkin', ha.

If anyone has any advice on Gemzar side effects, please post.

<3 Lolly

janet/FL
02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Lolly,
I can't give you feed back on Gemzar--just sending a big hug and hope the biggest side effect of the drug is that it knocks back those bad lymph nodes and leaves the rest of you alone!
Do let us know how you are feeling. You have such a wonderful spirit I hate that you have to go through this.

chrisy
02-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, poo. At least your hubby is on the right track and taking care of his valentine!

Take care, Lolly!

lindaw
02-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Dear lolly

Sorry to hear you have new nodes. I had Herceptin and gemzar as my last chemo before Tykerb. I have had so many I can't remember them but I think my hair thinned over time and I got tired- I can't remember any more side effects - low white things often so had to delay it sometimes. if I can remember any more I will write again.

love
linda

jhandley
02-15-2007, 04:56 AM
Hi Lolly
No experience with gemzar but just sending hugs and good thoughts your way. I was first dx in 2001; recurrence and stage 4 2005 currently NED. It's a long fight to wage. Tomorrow I am speaking at Relay for Life in Portland (Australia) and I will be mentioning some of the people on this site like yourself. I have also written a song about being a survivor that I have been asked to perform; in which I compare the bravery and courage of the people I have met in the military with those I have met in the hospitals over the past 6 years.

Kind regards
Jackie

MJo
02-15-2007, 05:38 AM
I know someone who is on gemzar for liver tumors. He has trouble with fluid buildup in the legs. I would check with your doctor and do things to prevent fluid building. I understand green tea has mild diuretic effect.

Carolyns
02-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Hi Lolly,

I was on Gemzar for 5 months. Took care of the liver mets, so far. Now I have switched to Faslodex and Herceptin.

While on Gemzar, I did 2 weeks on and 1 week off. I also took Zofran. For me my counts dropped only once. I have always been told to drink extra water. So I try to drink up to a gallon per day for a few days after chemo.

As for side effects - I was a little tired and did experience mild hair thinning. I continued / continue to work full time and have a very active life as a single mom of an 8-year old boy.

I hope that you do as well as I did. For me it was like Chemo lite.

Best wishes, love, peace, and hope!

Carolyns

IRENE FROM TAMPA
02-15-2007, 09:02 AM
that you are having some progression.

I was on Gemzar several years back and can't recall having any severe side effects. Maybe some drop in white counts once in a while but I continued working and never felt nauseous.

I wish you the best of luck on this drug. You are a valiant fighter Lolly so I just know that you will do well through this.

Keep your spirits up my friend. My prayers are with you.

Sheila
02-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Lolly

I feel so bad to hear about the stubborn nodes....these really are a pain in the butt! I have been off Xeloda for 5 weeks now and the nodes are once again growing so I will see if its back to Xeloda or a new treatment for me...you will be in my thoughts that the Gemzar will be well tolerated and kick butt on the nodes.

Jean
02-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Dear Lolly,

Sorry to hear your having progression - my prayers will be with you.
You are always so strong and positive - so hang in there, there is
light at the end of the tunnel.

Best wishes,
Jean

Kim in CA
02-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Dearest Lolly,

Just wanted to send a Big Hug and say I'm thinking of you. Those darned mets have got to go! I think about this everyday and wonder when the other shoe will drop for me. Are you going to be looking into Tykerb when it becomes available? Just know I'm sending prayers your way for little to no side effects with this one.

Love, Kim in CA

Lolly
02-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the support and advice, I will be hoping it works as well for me as it has for some of you; that's so encouraging and thanks so much. The minimal side effects sound good too. Will watch for swelling, my nurses told me to call in if ANYTHING out of the ordinary develops (ha! They know me too well).
My doctors and several Herceptin buddies and I are all waiting anxiously for Tykerb to be released, but my hope is that I'll be able to take a break if the Gemzar works well enough, and save Tykerb for down the road.
Keeping all of us in my thoughts and prayers.

<3 Lolly

Mary Anne in TX
02-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Lolly!

Wish those mets would vanish like they're supposed to! How dare they mess up your Valentine's Day! I'm believing that the Gemzar will work for you with little or no side effects. I love looking at your picture! Here's hoping for smooth sailing for you.
mary anne

heblaj01
02-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Lolly,
I am very optimistic that gemzar is going to work for you, based on several reports of its effectiveness.
For a possible extra boost check this (with your onc's blessing ,of course):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16645328&query_hl=9&itool=pubmed_docsum

Zoledronic acid (Zometa) enhances the cytotoxic effect of gemcitabine and fluvastatin: in vitro isobologram studies with conventional and nonconventional cytotoxic agents.
Oncology. 2006;70(2):147-53. Epub 2006 Apr 26.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15523890&query_hl=11&itool=pubmed_docsum
Effect of n-3 fatty acids on the antitumour effects of cytotoxic drugs.
In Vivo. 2004 Sep-Oct;18(5):543-7.
Although this lab test shows no synergy between fatty acids & Gemzar (but also no antagonism), Omega-3's in animal studies have been effective against lymph nodes. The very least to expect is a reduction of inflamation.

Lolly
02-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Thank you, heblaj01, for the very interesting links regarding synergy with Gemzar. That was one of my questions to my onc, Herceptin/Gemzar synergy (apparently there may be, they just don't know yet for sure what the optimal Gemzar dose is to achieve synergy in a given individual; more research needed). Very interesting about fatty acids, and the Zometa effect. Here's the link for other's who might be interested:

Zolendronic Acid Enhances Cytotoxic Effect of Gemcitabine and Fluvastatin:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16645328&dopt=Abstract

sassy
02-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Lolly. You've been such support for me and a shining example. I know you will prevail in short order.
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Bev
02-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Lolly and Sheila, I hope your new meds do the trick in beating back the nasties. I know it's not by choice, but thanks for trying out the meds for the rest of us. BB

sherri
02-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Dear Lolly,

Best wishes for you with this new drug. Let us know the result. Best result I hope!

tousled1
02-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Lolly,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having progression in the nodes. I know nothing about Gemzar but am praying that it will take care of the nodes.

heblaj01
02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Lolly,
While searching for something else I accidentally found this item which may be of interest to you:
Extract from a 2002 article in: http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/pdf/BCU200206.pdf
Potential synergy of trastuzumab/gemcitabine
In 1999, we initiated a phase II trial of gemcitabine/trastuzumab in women
with HER2 overexpressing (IHC 2+ or 3+) metastatic breast cancer. The patients had a median of three prior chemotherapy regimens, and almost all had received anthracyclines and taxanes. The study regimen consisted of gemcitabine 1,200 mg/m 2 on day one and day eight in a 21-day cycle and standard weekly trastuzumab. The overall response rate was 37%. Two-thirds of the patients scored 3+ on IHC for HER2 overexpression, and in that subset the response rate was 45%.
Interestingly, in Melody Cobleigh’s phase II trial, patients received single- agent trastuzumab as second- or third-line therapy, and there was a 15% response rate. Single-agent gemcitabine after anthracyclines and taxanes has demonstrated response rates ranging from about 12% to 20%. So, in our study of a very heavily pretreated group of patients, the 45% response rate with the combination of gemcitabine and trastuzumab suggests that there may be synergy or at least additivity between these agents. Kevin Fox at the Fox-Chase Cancer Center is conducting a study with gemcitabine and trastuzumab as first-line treatment for metastatic breast

lu ann
02-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Dear Lolly, I had Gemsar two different ways. Two on, one off like you, which caused my wbc counts to go down and I needed the shots. Then every other week, which I tolerated better and did not need the shots to raise my wbc. You might want to consider this. Love, Lu Ann

Shell
02-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Lolly-

Am hoping things will respond favorably with the gemzar, and what a great treat to have the hubby spoiling you - you sound like a great team!

Take care,

Becky
02-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I have been away for awhile. I am wishing you very positive results with Gemzar and I hope it does the trick for you and those pesky nodes.

Vanessa
02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Best wishes to you! I hope the new med works wonders for you.