PDA

View Full Version : Chemo after Surgery - how soon?

Belinda
02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi - I had my left breast off on 10 Jan (full ax clearance, 6 of 19 nodes affected, several tumours grade 3, largest 4cm), then my right on 1 Feb (no cancer). I was initially scheduled to start chemo tomorrow - the onc wanted to wait 4 weeks - but it's been delayed until I heal on the RHS (no axillary clearance and it's looking good so far). They are talking about possibly starting next Friday Feb 16, which would be fine with me, but it would only be 2 days and 1 week after my 2nd mastectomy (but 5 weeks and 2 days after my first).

Has anyone else started chemo so soon after surgery, or know anyone who has, and have there been any issues?

Kind regards all - Belinda

rinaina
02-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I had to wait 3 weeks which was after my second follow up with the surgeon.

cafe1084
02-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi Belinda,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this.
I had my first chemo 29 days past my bilateral mastectomy...would have started a week earlier, but had infection at the site I wanted cleared before I started, so I delayed. If your incisions are healing without complications and your surgeon clears you, your onc will start tx. If your surgeon and onc communicate regarding patients, that is great, but take a word of caution from me...mine didn't speak and they are located at the same hospital, so it was up to me to advocate for myself and say "Hey! I have a problem and I need you to pay attention!" If you don't feel you are healing /healed enough to start chemo, then take a little extra time. It will benefit you when you do start your chemo. The last thing you need is more stress and worry with slower healing time or increased risk of infection at the site when your blood counts drop from chemo. Onc's want to start chemo within a month of surgery, but sometimes, you need that extra week.

Would love to know how many members have has hospital-acquired MRSA or VRE infections.....well, that's another rant and a post for another day

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best,
Stephanie