PDA

View Full Version : kk1 home after liver resection

kk1
02-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Just thought I would let you know that I made it through the liver resection and I am now back at home. The surgery went well but there were a few surprises. The 2 tumors were too close to the vein so they ended up removing the entire left lobe,rather than just the section VIII wedge, to ensure that they had clear margins. The also found a small tumor on my stomach which they removed. The good news is preliminary path report said the stomach tumor was benign and they think they got clear margins in the liver. On thursday I see the surgeon for the follow up and we will get the final path report...keeping my fingers cross.

I think I am doing very well all things considered. I had the surgery on monday morning and came home saturday night, which was a big relief for my kids. My 16 year old son left sunday to washington D.C. for the week for a school trip (freezing his tush I bet) and I know it gave him comfort to see me home before he had to take off.

I can walk around the block very slowly already, but the surgery is no picnic and sleep most of the day. It is really difficutly to eat very much due to the stomach surgery.....good thing I have the extra 35lbs I gain during my last chemo treatment as a buffer :).

Before I went into surgery a friend of mine gave my fantastic book to help heal and recover. My Granfather's blessings: stories of strength,refuge, and belonging. by Rachel Naomi Remen M.D. Anyone who comes to this site should find a copy.....it brings such a smile to my face and gives me so much hope for myself and all of you every time a read a page or two.

chow from the recliner
kk1

tousled1
02-05-2007, 08:46 PM
KK1,

So good to hear that your surgery went well and that you are home now. I guess you're relieved that the tumor in the stomach was benign. Here's hoping that you have clear margins in the liver. I'm sure everything will be fine. Sounds like you're getting around pretty good - keep up the good work. It's always great to hear good news.

Sherryg683
02-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Take is easy and recoop, I know it's good to be home with the kids..sherryg683

StephN
02-05-2007, 11:45 PM
WOW!

Kim, I am so glad to hear from you, and that the news seems to be in your favor. A major surgery like that is tough on us, but seems that you are managing now.

I could not have resection due to tumor wrapped around main hepatic vein, so I am glad that they were able to get what they needed in your case.

Are you on any chemos or just Herceptin?

Will look for that book. Keep us posted.

tricia keegan
02-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Kki

Sounds like a difficult surgery but am so pleased it went well.
Be sure to spoil yourself and get plenty of rest.
Hoping for good results on the margins for you too!
Tricia

dawn
02-06-2007, 04:42 AM
It does me so good to hear good stories like yours. Here's hoping that everything comes back fine on Friday.

All the best
Dawn

RhondaH
02-06-2007, 08:23 AM
So glad to hear the surgery went well...now REST UP. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

anne2
02-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Dear KK1,
All the best for a quick and full recovery. Keeping my fingers crossed for your path report also.
Hugs,
Anne

lexigirl
02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I am happy that all went well with your surgery and that you are home recovering. Try not to over-do it.

Hugs,
Lexi

Joy
02-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm so happy to hear from you and your news seems pretty darn good right now. I'm impressed by your recovery. Keep up the good work by not working too much and letting everyone else help. Rest well and best wisshes to you!

Lala
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
KK

I am glad to see you are home and recuperating. Your surgery sounds like it was a success, I am happy for you. I hope you are getting your rest now. Sending Prayers for a quick recovery. Good Luck on Thursday.

Lolly
02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Gosh KK1, sounds like you're doing fantastic!!! It really helps to know how well you're doing, gives some encouragement to those of us who might have to face this surgery ourselves. Thanks for taking the time to post, and take good care.

<3 Lolly

Bev
02-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Hoping for continued good news, Yes, quite cold in DC area. I knew those hot flashes would come in handy sometime. I've been driving around with my windows open. My fingers are frozen but the rest of me is toasty. Good luck. BB

Vanessa
02-07-2007, 10:52 AM
So glad to know that your surgery went well. Also, glad to know that the tumour in your stomach was benign! I hope your recovery continues to go well for you. Best wishes, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

rinaina
02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Thinking of you and praying for an easy recovery for you and a good post op report.

Audrey
02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
kk, glad to hear the surgery went well--I have also read Rachel Naomi Remen's My Grandfather's Blessings book and agree that it is so warm and comforting. Next you have to read her other book, "Kitchen Table Wisdom"--lots of great stories about her work with cancer survivors. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Catherine
02-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Kki, Welcome home. Nothing better than your own recliner. Take care and rest alot. We will all hope and pray for good news and a smooth recovery.

All the best, Catherine

Esther
02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Glad everything went well with your surgery, keep us posted, I'm interested in hearing how your recovery goes.

The liver resection was not a possibility for me originally in 2004, because my liver was so covered in tumors there would not have been anything left after the resention.

But it may be a possiblity in the future, should it become necessary.