PDA

View Full Version : Effexor for hot flashes

sally
01-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I have been taking 12mg of effexor twice a day and I am not throwing the blankets on and off all night anymore. Now I actually get cold. I haven't been cold in 2 1/2 years. I also take amien cr and it works pretty good. I don't take it every night. I don't want to get addicted. Sally

Susan McQ
01-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I just started taking effexor as an anti-depressant, but was told it would also help with hot flashes.

Susan

momdeeco
01-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I am also taking Effexor for hot flashes, however, I take the XR 75 mg. I didn't see a huge improvement so have added 5 mg of Clonidine. (Normally a blood pressure med.) My hot flashes have improved and I not sweating, just occasionally get really hot. I also have been taking a 1/2 tab of Ambien (5mg) for sleep. Would be up all night if I didn't. Is anyone else on anything for hot flashes?

Yorkiegirl
01-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Sally so glad to hear that Effexor works for you. I was put on it, and it did nothing for me at all. Bummer!!!

I have tried several things and nothing. I guess I'm one of those people that has to suffer thru the hot flashes. However they do tend to be a little less intense now than at first.

tousled1
01-27-2007, 10:27 PM
During my chemo I had terrible hot flashes and couldn't sleep through the night. Now the hot flashes are few and far between but I still have trouble sleeping. I take Ambien CR which puts me to sleep but then in about 2 hours I'm up again. If I take an Ativan I can go back to sleep for about 4 fours straight. Chemo really messes with your body in every way. Guess it just takes time for the body to readjust.