PDA

View Full Version : December 24th 2001

Christine
12-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Just 5 short years ago, if you were dignosed as HER2+, your oncologist would tell you "your cancer is aggresive and your prognosis is poor". If you were stage I to III, you had to wait for a recurrence before he would give you Herceptin. There was a myth that it caused heart attacks. In 2001, if you were diagnosed with brain mets, your survival was measured in months. There was very little information on HER2, Herceptin, or metastatic breast cancer on the internet.

Today, thanks to dedicated researchers we have turned the corner. Women who are HER2 positive now have a better prognosis than those that aren't. Tykerb another targeted therapy drug should be approved by the FDA in February. Great strides in HER2 vaccines are being made at Walter-Reed Medical Center and at the University of Washington. There are many new compounds in the laboratory ready to enter Phase I trials.

The HER2 Support Group met the challenge. Through our website, we have recruited numerous candidates to participate in various clinical trials, including 1 in the Phase I trial of Tykerb, several in the Walter Reed trial, 10 out of 20 for the Phase I trial of the vaccine in Seattle, and numerous candidates for the adjuvant trials of Herceptin here and overseas. Our members are the most educated of all breast cancer survivors.

Personally, 2006, was a terrible year with the loss of Lyn, Lisa, Hope, Janelle, Linda, Sherry from WV and others. Each passing makes the operation of this website just a bit harder.

But on the other hand, we received glowing reports from many oncologists that we met in San Antonio this month. Dr. Lupe Salazar could not speak highly enough about our "hospitality volunteer" in Seattle - Stephanie. Sassy's oncologist told us how Sassy was so informed that it made her visits with him - most enjoyable. Perhaps the greatest compliment was given at ASCO in June, when Dr. Mark Pegram referred to us as the "HER2 Support Group activists" before an audience of about 1500 fellow medical professionals.

Joe and I receive too much credit for this website for it is all of the members who help to make this website the leading resource for HER2 breast cancer patients in the world. We just built the forum, it took all of you to fill it.

We wish to thank each and every one of you for without your active participation, the HER2 Support Group would not exist.

Hugs, well wishes and happy holidays to ALL.

HAPPY FIFTH ANNIVERSARY

Christine and Joe

Karen W
12-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Christine and Joe

A millions thanks to both of you.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Hugs,
karen

Carolyns
12-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Thank you doesn't seem like enough, but, THANK YOU!

Happy 5th anniversary and Happy Holidays!

Carolyn

Bev
12-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Thank you. Youv'e taken on lots of extra work for our benefit. Happy Holidays. Bev

Yorkiegirl
12-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I want to thank you both Christine & Joe for starting forum. Before I found it, I didn't think there was hope, and now I know different.

Just being connected with everyone on this forum has meant the world to me.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

dee
12-24-2006, 11:20 PM
thank you for helping to save my life.
dee

Barbara H.
12-25-2006, 04:48 AM
HI Christine and Joe,
I can never thank you enough for managing this website. It is my lifeline to information, support, and to others like myself who are dealing wiht HER2 breast cancer at some level. No words can express my appreciation for your dedication and help and support.
Thank you and I wish you all the best to your family during this holiday season and the New Year beyond!!!!
Barbara H.

Sheila
12-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Christine and Joe
Thanks to both of you and all the other amazing women on this board, I plan to be here to celebrate my 5 year anniversary in Feb. I was one of those given a poor outlook in early 2002, and with all the knowledge from this board, I am still going strong.....Merry Christmas to ALL!

Sandy H
12-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Again another thank you for all you do for us. This is one of my lifelines. Nearly, 6 years ago, diagnosed with IBC and her2, I was given no long term survival from several doctors. Well, today I am happy to say I am still hear and I do consider 6 years in March long term! My quality of life is good and I am enjoying every minute of it. Christine is right we have come a long way and will continue to do so. Sending you all a big Christmas hug and a Happy healthy New Year. I said a prayer last evening for all our families on this board who are with out their loved one today. Sandy

tousled1
12-25-2006, 11:17 AM
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do to keep this website up and running. I also want to thank all the wonderful women here. Since I really do not have anyone that I can personally lean on for support, I surely would have lost it many times if it had not been for the wonderful support, advise, and knowledge of the women on this website. I wish everyone here a Very Happy Holiday and a Happy, Healthful, Prosperous New Year.

RobinP
12-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Christine, and a very Merry Christmas to you and Joe.

Andi
12-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks so much Joe & Christine for this site. It, too, has given me much hope. Best of everything and Merry Christmas!

Mary Anne in TX
12-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Thank you for stepping out and leading the way for all of us! This site has been a life raft to me each and every day! It educates me, inspires me, and helps me make each tough new step so much easier! I have a friend just diagnosed with thyroid cancer, just as her son turns 4 months old! As I wrote a note to her, I reflected on how important this site has been to me and encouraged her to go on line and seek out lots of ideas and help! Thank you for 5 years that has and will continue to change so many lives. Merry Christmas!

lindaw
12-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Dear Joe and Christine
thankyou so much for this site. For me personally it has helped inform me ( I am in Australia) of what is happening in the Her2 world. The wonderful people on this site have helped advise me , comfort me and support me at difficult times.
i have found it particulalry sad this year with the loss of women I had grown to love.

Thank you again

Linda w

sherri
12-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Thank you again to the superb team! Wishing you the best for holidays.

Big hug,

lexigirl
12-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Dear Joe and Christine,

Thank you so much for the information that you share with us. 16 mos ago I was diagnosed w/ her 2 pos bc. I was sure that my life was over then and there. Having her 2 support has been a lifeline for me. I don't think I could have gotten through this as well as I have without your valuable site.

Losing our dear bc sisters has been awful tough to read. But, we are here to support each other in good times and in bad. My prayers are that 2007 will be a blessed year for each and everyone of us. You all are in my prayers daily.

Hugs and prayers,
Lexi

Kimberly Lewis
12-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the update that puts things into perspective Christine. I can't believe the changes that have taken place in just the short time I have had cancer. I long for many more changes - for the shot that prevents cancer in my children and their children's children... sigh. Keep up the good work, and thank you so much for your kind dedication to those of us you may never meet, but sacrifice for daily.
We are ever in your debt....

Emmay
12-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Dear Christine and Joe,

Thank you for your eloquent Christmas/Anniversary letter to the Her2support community and all you do to stay on the forefront of medical advances and keep us all connected.

Congratulations for 5 years of providing emotionally and physically life-sustaining support through this exemplary website -- and many blessings to you in 2007!

Emmay

Rendi69CA
12-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Congratulation on your 5th anniverary for a successful forum, dedication, and hard work. I am truly bless to be apart of your support group. Thank you Christine and Joe.

Merry Christmas!

StephN
12-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Like Kate mentioned, many of us would have "lost it" if we did not have somewhere to turn for understanding and information. That includes me, and the hard part is that some of the women who welcomed me here and gave me some words of wisdom are no longer here in the flesh. But, there are others to come into the picture and who need the same help at various stages of their disease and treatment.
The cycle continues.

It is a very special sisterhood indeed, and I am honored to have a part in assisting anyone who comes to Seattle that I can make things a little easier or fun during what can be a rather stressful time.

We owe it all the Christine and her very "obedient" husband Joe, who put her idea into practice.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

saleboat
12-26-2006, 07:30 AM
With many thanks to this site, and the wonderful men and women who participate, I've been able to live my post-dx life with hope. It is a priceless gift, and one for which I am very grateful.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year.

Jen

sarah
12-26-2006, 01:26 PM
You've created a wonderful caring community - no maybe an extended family and the information and support are so appreciated and important. I feel less alone.
many, many thanks
sarah

SaraD
12-26-2006, 03:33 PM
christine, i have never met you but i look forward to meeting you in the future. thanks for all you have done to give us hope! we are indebted to your devotion to this cause.

sincerely, sara

CherylS
12-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Christine,

You are a hero in my eyes. A hero is one who overcomes terrible adversity in their own lives and sees it as an opportunity to give to others. Your hard work and sacrifice has changed and saved lives, and you have brought together a place of encouragement, support, hope and love.

God Bless you and Joe with peace and health in the coming year.

sassy
12-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Christine and Joe,

"Thank you" could never be sufficient to express the gratitude we owe you for providing this forum of knowledge, support and HOPE!

May the new year bring us all good things and well being.
________
PERFEKTBABY live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/PERFEKTBABY)

Diane H
12-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Adding my heartfelt Thanks too, this site is such a blessing. I stand in awe of all the people who contritbute so much. Thank you Christine and Joe, you've really made a difference in the lives of so many of us. Love and hugs to all!

BEVIE
12-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Dear Christine and Joe,
I don't have the words to express my heartfelt thanks for starting the HER2 site. When I was first diagnosed in Nov. 2000 it was hard enough finding information on HER2 breast cancer let alone any thing positive about it. This site was such a welcome relief and a valuable tool. I have been able to share information and new developments with my oncologist and with this site and the many wonderful contributors I can rest assured that I'm always on top of any new and upcoming treatments.
I wish you and all the wonderful men and women on this site a very happy healthy 2007.

Jean
12-28-2006, 11:05 AM
what has been accomplished because of this site in only five years, it is
just amazing! Just imagine what will be accomplished in the next five years.
Maybe a cure! God Bless both Joe and Christine.

Hugs,
Jean

Patb
12-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I am new here and have found a home with all the wonderful women and the help from Christine and Joe. Knowledge is power. Thanks

patb

DEBBIE S
12-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Christine and Joe,

Thank you both for all you dedication to this site and especially your input ....
You have helped me much more than you will know ... You are lifesavers of the
best kind .... Best wishes for the New Year ... May the Lord strengthen you both to continue on ....

Take Care,

Debbie

Shell
12-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Christine-

This site has given me so much knowledge and hope. While I also owe a debt of gratitude to the members who share this knowledge, your work was the genesis that has made it all possible.

Thank you, thank you, and best wishes to you and Joe for Health and Happpiness in the New Year!

Kind regards,
Shell

Ceesun
01-01-2007, 05:32 PM
My heartfelt thanks to this wonderful website--we are in a sisterhood we never wanted to join (and brothers, too)-thanks to everyone. May God Bless. Ceesun

kk1
01-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Steph said it right, this site has been and continues to be my bridge to sanity and hope. The information I obtain from all your comments and the synergy of all the people on the site doing research and banding together is phenomenal. When ever I start to lose it I login-in and seem to always find the right information to give me hope. To all who actively participate and Christine and Joe for creating and maintaining this site I wish you all a peaceful and healthy new year.

Kay (KK1)

rinaina
01-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Christine, not only do we owe abundant thanks to you and Joe but you have continued to make us hopeful and thinking positive with your updates. Thanks again for reminding us how lucky we are to have her2 verses any other form of bc. I always know where to turn if I need to feel better. Happy Healthy New Year.