PDA

View Full Version : When your physician says to take it easy...

Heart Sutra
12-22-2006, 02:39 PM
They mean it!

Despite my trying to keep a good woman down, Sue over-used her arm after her mastectomy and...

A drain is back in!!!!!

Funny how sometimes they say things and really do mean it. :(

She is so bummed. And tired of my (and her doctor's) "told you so's"

I can be a pain.

lexigirl
12-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh, that is a bummer!! Please take it form a girl that's been there and done that, do take it easy. I hope that you won't have to live with the drain for too long.

Hugs,
Lexi

tousled1
12-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Please tell Sue to be careful with the arm. Yes should use it but not abuse it. She certainly doesn't want to end up with lymphedema.

Chelee
12-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Its hard to get home and not use your arm. You try so hard to be careful...but its easier said then done. I am sure sorry to hear she has that drain back in. I had mine in almost a month so I can relate. I wanted it gone. Maybe I was over using mine too...it just kept draining. I didn't think it was going to stop. Tell her to be careful and hang in there.

Enjoy the holidays.

Chelee

StephN
12-22-2006, 11:57 PM
... and we women do a lot in preparation. Old habits die hard and we are used to plowing along no matter what. I totally understand what happened!

No one can do all the shopping, decorating, wrapping, cooking that we are so programmed to accomplish. You would have had to handcuff and tie her to a chair to keep this from happening during this time of year.

Just a matter of bad timing, I guess. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon11.gif

Have a great time and hopefully others will pick up the slack. I had my first chemo on a Dec. 20th. But, I felt fine and did everything as per normal.

Cathy1
12-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi! What kind of drain is it? Where does it go and how did you know you needed it? I have lymphedema in my arm and it isn't severe, but lately my left back area under my arm is getting bigger? I am supposed to wear a sleeve every day but since it wasn't that big, I didn't do that except when I hold my grandson.
Hope you feel better soon. God Bless, Cathy

Chelee
12-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Cathy, The drain she is talking about is the one the surgeon puts in after you have a mastectomy. Mine was placed right underneath where my breast was removed. It gets put in right away so that all the fluid in there can drain. Anyone that gets a mastectomy has a drained put in. Once the fluid in there gets down to draining next to nothing...the surgeon removes it.

As far as that back area under your arm getting bigger. I know how you feel. Mine is the same way...I plan on telling my surgeon this week as it seems to be getting far too full of fluid. But once you have a mastectomy and SNB...it interrupts the entire lymph system which helps cause this the way I understand it.

Hope this helps.

Chelee

StephN
12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Those of us who have had lumpectomy and lower axilla excision also needed a drain for a week or so. Any time the lymph system is disturbed a drain is necessary until the fluid "figures out" a new channel.

When they think it is discharge time at the hospital they always give me a PT session or two. Once I am cleared by the physical therapists and a sheet of instructions is gone over, only then do they begin the paperwork for discharge.

This included specific exercises and instructions for regaining use of my arm - and this with a lumpectomy. I followed them and had no trouble at all.