PDA

View Full Version : Getting Tykerb off label?

Sherryg683
12-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Just read the post about several stageIII's checking into getting tykerb off label. Exactly what does that mean and how do you go about it. I am stage iv, currently in remission and my Oncologist said we can't get on it until it is FDA approved (unless I progress). Am I missing something, I would really love to get on it with my Herceptin NOW and not wait for the other shoe to drop. And is there any new news as to when it will be FDA approved?....sherryg683

michele u
12-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Sherry,

If you are stage 4 you will be able to get it when it is FDA approved in march 2007. That's what the date they are telling people. Off label mean taking a FDA approved medication and using it for a different indication that it was approved for. Like when Herceptin was just being given to stage 4 patients, alot of the women had their dr's give it to them in earlier stages. I'm sure your dr. will not say no when it is FDA approved

Sherryg683
12-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks Michelle, I've been wondering when the due date is, March will be when I do my next scans and it would be kind of nice to get on it even if they are still clean, I want my bases covered ...tks..sherryg683