PDA

View Full Version : Results of mammo?

Chelee
12-19-2006, 04:35 PM
This was the same time of year exactly when I was DX last year with bc. I must say I am a bit nervous having to wait for the results of my mammo. I called my surgeons office but they made it sound like I would have to wait a *week* or more. Is that the norm?

(I've had some pain in my left breast so this is really stressing me out of my mind. I thought for sure they would tell me right away, but I guess not.) How long did any of you have to wait? I am hoping it comes in sooner then they think.

Chelee

Sheila
12-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Chelee
A week is ridiculous...I have the results before I ever leave the mammo center....I know some wait for a day or 2, but seeing my history, I know before I leave!

Hopeful
12-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Chelee,

When I was diagnosed last spring, the call to "come in for more views" was on my voicemail exactly seven days to the date I had my annual mammogram. It took me totally by surprise, as I had thought I would have heard about any problem much earlier. The center where I have mine done does a computer check between the previous year's film and the new one. It takes 8 to 10 weeks to get in for annual screenings. I assume they are just backlogged. The technician checks the plates before I leave, but that is just to see whether they will be "readable" by the doctor. I am not looking forward to having to wait for the results of my first post diagnosis screening!

It sounds so trite, but try to hang in there. Here's to good news for Christmas!

Hopeful

Becky
12-19-2006, 07:39 PM
My mammos are like Sheila's. They tell me right then. No anxious moments. I do like it when I take my films to my surgeon (usually a week or 2 after I get the mammos) as she is a wiz at looking at the films and gives me an even bigger piece of mind.

Bev
12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi Chelee.

The doc read mine while I put my clothes back on. I was told by the receptionist that everything looked OK. The official report came by mail in a week or so. I've switched centers since DX. The first place I went was exactly like Hopeful's experience, not to mention my lump turned up 5 months after the mammo. The new place is like a spa in comparison. BB

Chelee
12-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Shelia, Becky & Bev, All three of you got your results right away as it should be seems to me. I really thought my breast center would understand how anxious I am? I am trying to avoid the nightmare poor Hopeful experienced. Thats just awful. I don't want that dreaded call a week or more later...I want to know now.

I see alot of women viewed this...please girls...help me out here. How long did it take all of you? Did most of you have to wait...or did you get them right away like Shelia, Bev, and Becky did? (I know one thing, I am making a call down there daily.) http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif (Squeaky wheel gets the oil.) We hope?

Chelee

SusanV
12-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Chelee,

You & I have already spoken about this via personal e-mail, but for the benefit of others...I went for a mamo last week, and was told right then about my results. The nurse said that because I am now a "Cancer Patient" I will forever receive diagnostic mamos, and not have to wait for results. The doctor also gave me an ultra sound and gave me the results immediatley.
I really think we have earned the right to immediate results. Waiting is CRAZY !!!

Much Love

bonnie
12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
I get the results immediately after the mammogram. I can't imagine having to wait a week! It would be torture.

Bonnie

Montana
12-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I received the results immediately. At our health center, when you have a BC history, they KNOW you don't want to wait.

AlaskaAngel
12-20-2006, 11:09 AM
For those who get imaging at a major center in particular, usually the quick verbal results are given right away. But in rural areas or smaller facilities it can legitimately take longer. The reason for that is that often smaller facilities will have just one radiologist on duty, and that radiologist has to cover any emergencies that walk in the door when you happen to be having your imaging. Also, even though you have to be persistent in your own best interests, in places where there is only one radiologist, if the mammo is entirely clear and there are more immediate demands on the radiologist, you might not hear from the radiologist while you are there. In some places, if there are uncertain results or complicated results, they might also be reported to your treating physician first so that the physician is both aware you need to be contacted as well and can better answer your questions.

Because I have been imaged in both kinds of places over time, I don't take the courtesy of being able to talk with the radiologist or get a report right away for granted at all. I still will be persistent in getting my results, but I definitely appreciate their time.

AlaskaAngel

rinaina
12-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I will have my first mammo since being diagnosed exactly one year from the date and that is in March. My surgeon is having me get a diagnostic? mammo and seeing me and my films the same day to avoid exactly what you are going through. Insist on this, we have to put up with enough anxiety, you shouldn't have to wait for results on a mammo.

Chelee
12-20-2006, 06:37 PM
I called my surgeons office again today and asked for his nurse that is very good about getting back to me and handling my concerns. I told her I am very anxious waiting for the results of my mammo and was hoping I could get the results? She said thought they were already typed up and would go check and call me right back. That was around 2:40 PM. But I stayed off the phone and NO call. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown.gif I hope that isn't bad news? If they found something bad on it...maybe they have to wait till the surgeon calls me in. Now I am really stressed out. Maybe thats why they didn't tell me the day I was there?

I don't know if I can handle to much more stress. Seems most all of you get your results right away. This is a new cancer center and its big enough that they do have more then one radiologist. So I can only think maybe they found something. I wish they could understand just how stressful this is for us to have to wait. Thanks so much for all the replies.

Chelee

Hopeful
12-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Chelee,

Please be kind to yourself and resist the temptation to create a bad outcome here, when the reality could be that she just got tied up doing more pressing things and never got back to you. It is a busy time of year, offices are short staffed, and, sometimes, people just get distracted. She could have had to deal with an emergency with another patient, or gotten a personal call that made her forget what she was doing. It is just as likely that some innocuous reason kept her from calling you as it is that bad news was the culprit. Try to get a good night's sleep and call the office back when they open tomorrow. Take care and let us know.

Hopeful

Yorkiegirl
12-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Last December was my Mammo on my remaining breast (Left) and I got the results right away. This coming Friday I will be having an Ultra Sound on my Bi-Lateral Mastectomy Breast's and I will also get the results right away as well.

Bev
12-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Chelee, If the tech saw a big whopping tumor. she would have told the doc to look at it. No news is usually good news, Hang in there and keep pressuring them for results.

My point is, you can get your mammo anywhere.( I did not know this before) Just because your Doc wrote the order on a certain company's form, doesn't mean you can't go to other companies. Vote with your feet next time. Just make sure they take your insurance, they most likely will. BB

Bev
12-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Chelee, If the tech saw a big whopping tumor. she would have told the doc to look at it. No news is usually good news, Hang in there and keep pressuring them for results.

My point is, you can get your mammo anywhere.( I did not know this before) Just because your Doc wrote the order on a certain company's form, doesn't mean you can't go to other companies. Vote with your feet next time. Just make sure they take your insurance, they most likely will. BB

Chelee
12-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Bev, Actually I wanted to get my mammo at the breast center where my surgeon is. He told me I HAD to go where ever I had my last mammo last year because thats where they have my films on record. They like to compare them. He said thats how it works.

So I did go back to the place I used last year as per their instructions...and the strange thing is when I called that place the other day to see IF they would give me the results of my mammo, they said they couldn't because my films were sent over by courier to the breast center. (Thats where my surgeon is.) That they would be read by the radiologists over there.

That made NO sense to me since my surgeon which I trust told me I HAD to go to the same place I went last year so they could compare films. (Now I find out they were sent to his breast center.) So I don't know what to think or believe? I just wish they would give me the results. There is no reason to take this long. Maybe my insurance company is the reason I have to go to the same place? I know when I have ECHO's...I have to use the same place for that too? Tomorrow I have an appt with another doc...I will walk into my surgeons office in person and see what they say? This is nerve racking.

I sure hope no news is good news like you said Bev. I am trying to think positive...but as you know thats pretty hard sometimes.

Chelee

Hopeful
12-21-2006, 06:07 AM
Chelee,

Like Bev said, you can go anywhere you want to for your mammo. Your doctor may have been trying to simplify things for you, by telling you to go to the place where they had your most recent films on file. Otherwise, you would have had to either go to the old place and pick up your films yourself or arrange for the old place to send the prior films to the new place so they could compare them. The films are technically YOURS, not the radiologist's. You can pick them up or have them sent anywhere you want.

Hopeful

Sheila
12-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Chelee

You can get a mammo anywhere, but if you do, make sure you have old films for comparison....it is very helpful for the radiologist to COMPARE! I have mine at a small hospital....as a matter of fact. last time, the regular radiologist Dr. who reads them was off on vacation when I was scheduled, and they called and had me reschedule so he would be there, and the same Dr. would be reviewing my films. I sit and wait so if he needs more intense views of an area, I am there. Then he comes in and gives me the results. I have friends that go to another small hospital, and they have had the waiting problem....they demanded timely readings, and if they didn't get them, they were going elsewhere for their mammos.....they made a statement and the hospital has since changed its policies!

Heart Sutra
12-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Chelee,

You can have your mammo done at any facility. Just make sure you ask for your films. My daughter works for a radiologist (that's where I have mine done) but I have all my films, from the very first mammo I had. Also, the same with your bone scans. I asked the radiologist for a copy before I left his exam room.

Hang in, I think Bev is right. If they saw something your films would be on the top of the pile to read.

---Sue and Kevin---

tousled1
12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Chelee,

When I got my mammograms I always found out if everything was okay before I left. When I moved to Georgia last August I went to the Imaging Center where I had all my mammograms done and got the films and written reports so that I could take them with me to Georgia. When I had my mammo last October before I even was allowed to leave the room, the doctor came in and told me that my mammogram revaled invasive ductual cancer and that he was going to call my primary care physican that day. After that, you know what happened -- I was on a roller coaster ride. Still on the roller coaster but enjoying it a little. The films are yours and you should be able to pick them up along with a written report the day after the mammo. I find it hard to believe that with a history of breast cancer that the center where you had the mammo would not give you an instant report. The last thing you need now is added stress. Good luck to you.

AlaskaAngel
12-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi Chelee. I hope that by now you have at least a verbal report from either your doctors' office or the place where you had the mammogram.

You do seem to consistently running into these kinds of bumps with your health care plan. All health care is not created equally, unfortunately. It may be a question of deciding to change plans and put more of your resources toward health care, of if you can't do that it may mean spending more time and effort trying to get the plan to actually work by complaining up the line over and over. Sometimes the choices aren't simple or easy, but you do have only one keester.

I had my mammo this year at a major cancer center and spoke directly with the radiologist, so I had the gist of the report right at that time. Immediately afterward, I signed a written request to get a copy of the actual report mailed to me. Those are not always available within one day, but should be available within 2 to 3 days. I did not receive anything, so I called and talked with the radiology department and they apologized and said they would send it. Today the envelope came in the mail... and instead they sent a copy of my 2002 mammogram.....

My doctors would send me a copy, but I don't think that would end up making much of a difference in the way things seem to be happening. (Is it just me? Or are there really more dunderheads out there getting paid for their "work" than there used to be?)

So I'll try putting a dent in someone's day where it counts...

AlaskaAngel

P.S. Personally, I think legislation is needed, requiring all written reports to be sent to the patient within 10 working days. We and our insurance PAY for the test.

Bev
12-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Yes, if you switch it's not convenient. You become the courier. You need to travel to a remote location, bring ID and sign forms. Docs do invest in other medical service companies, so he may be referring you to his own company. I believe in voting with my feet, but you can keep complaining up the chain. BB

Chelee
12-22-2006, 11:46 PM
A while ago I was advised to file a complaint with the hmo about these on-going problems with my onc. It was implied that something would be worked out so I could go to another center like UCLA or Cedars...and have them work with an onc at my current center. I had several options mentioned that sounded positive. Since my complaint, things have gotten worse which I was PROMISED it would not or I would of NEVER done it.

Advice to others...these complaints are only to help THEM...they get your information and run it by their legal dept to see if they might be liable in any way. Then they get back to you and tell you they can't tell you anything...but your complaint has been handled. (Its ridiculous.) Thats not what they told me would happen when I did it. But I was told something WOULD be worked out...I hope it happens soon.

But until then...I called about my mammo and was told they are out of the office and will return the 27th. So I won't find out till next week or after new years. Who knows. This part is on purpose because of my complaint. You make one mad...then there all mad. (I should of NEVER believed them and filed this against my onc.) I hope their promise of letting me go to UCLA or Cedars works out...and soon. I can't take much more. I have spent so much time making calls and gathering information to make a positive change...its turned into a very draining nightmare. Nothing is ever as easy as they tell me it will be. (My surgeons office would of NEVER done this to me before...but since the complaint...its pay back.)

Chelee