PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info regarding a rash! Skin Mets???

TAG
12-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Hello,

I'm posting this for a friend that was diagnosed with DCIS in the left breast in September 2005. She is also HER2+ and ER+. My friend had a double mastectomy and there was NO further treatment besides the surgery. She is doing well but found a rash near one of the mastectomy scars. She explained it to be a rash under the skin. It's about half of a palm size and it doesn't itch but has gotten bigger since Monday when she first noticed it. I did some research on the internet and came across skin mets. We are confused since we don't know much about skin mets. From what I read skin mets is usually mentioned with IBC and not DCIS. I was hoping I could get some help on this board.

I asked her if she changed her soaps/lotions or if she might have gotten bit by a bug or spider and she said no. The rash isn't raised either. I found a picture of what it looks like on a IBC website and she thought it looked like the picture. I guess the IBC is throwing us off because she doesn't have IBC but possibly skin mets?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Toni

P.S. My friend moved temporarily out of state for 7 months and got a clean bill of health when she left back in August. She currently doesn't have an Onc to see until she gets back home.

Merridith
12-17-2006, 03:55 AM
Hi Tag:

I don't have any experience with skin mets although I know that there are people on this site that do. If I were you, I would search the site using "skin mets" as a search parameter and see who has them if no one volonteers to answer your question and email them directly.

I think that skin mets are one of the slightly more uncommon places for the mets to appear so I don't know how many people actually have them to respond to you.

Having said that, I would suggest that your friend get herself checked out RIGHT AWAY. If skin mets show - the most likely site IS at the incision site. If she isn't in a position to see an oncologist, at least get an idea of how suspicious the rash is. Even a GP at a walk-in clinic could give you a better idea than the internet.

Good luck,
Merridith

Sandy H
12-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Sorry it took me so long to answer your post. I have been in San Antonio and just got home at 2:00 a.m. this morning and as you can see I am back on the board-its my family. I do have skin mets. I regret to tell you they are not only specific to IBC anyone can have them!! They can appear in different ways. When you say they are close to the mastectomy scar I would get them checked ASAP! The only way to know is if they do not go away in two weeks then get a punch biopsy- can be done right in the office. I don't want to scare you and if they are skin mets they are treatable and manageable. I have had them for 5 years now and we have been able to keep they localized and stable. I hope this helps if you have further questions and would like to e-mail me off the board please feel free to do it. Please keep us posted and let us know if the rash resolves or it does get diagnosed as skin mets and what she ends up with for treatment. Thanks for coming to us with this question. hugs, Sandy

lindaw
12-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Dear Toni

I have also had skin mets for about 4 years. you need to have a biopsy to confirm this. Sandy is very knowledgeable and has been a great source of information and support to me.

love
Lindaw