PDA

View Full Version : Update On Carol H from Dundee!

tricia keegan
12-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Hello everyone
I visited Carol in hospital and she wants me to thank everyone who replied with good wishes and prayers for her.
She has just learned the brain tumour is operable and will be undergoing surgery next Tuseday.
Although a very scary time she's being very brave but missing her children and freedom and going a little stir crazy as the tumour is preventing her reading and doing her beloved crossword puzzles (Dizzy spells and can't focus) so she's
pretty bored with too much time to dwell on things.
At this stage thats all we know but will update more at Carol's request and thank you all again and I just pray all goes well Tuesday for her.
Carol is only 38 and has two young children and her husband cannot be with her due to work commitments but will probably get compassionate leave to travel from Scotland to be with her Tuesday.
Good wishes to all.
Tricia

RhondaH
12-15-2006, 12:55 PM
thank you for some MUCH needed good news. Now lets pray that the good news continues for her and for others. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

tousled1
12-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Thank you Tricia for the update. Here's hoping that Carol's surgery goes well and that she'll soon be back with her family. I'll keep her in my prayers

chrisy
12-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Tricia, thanks for the update. Will continue to send prayers for successful treatment for Carol and hope that she will be back home with her family soon.

Chris

sherri
12-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks Tricia. We are hoping for the best result after surgery. I see her with her children and happy, I know in my heart the surgery will be a success!

tricia keegan
12-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Thank you ladies!

Surgery has been moved to monday as Carol has very bad headaches and dizzy spells so you're good wishes are so appreciated.
She had a visit from her children today which was wonderful for her but upsetting also so here's to Monday and will update you all later in the wek.
Thanks for all your replies!
Tricia

Bev
12-16-2006, 10:39 PM
To Monday. Best of luck. BB

chrislmelb
12-17-2006, 01:48 AM
all the best for Monday and everything else

Christine

Joy
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
to hear that the tumor is operable. I'm sending Carol a lot of love (I'm 39 with 2 young ones and stage IV-so I get it!). Thank you for keeping us updated, especially since, if I rmember right, you are having some challenges too. How are you Tricia?

tricia keegan
12-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Joy and thank you for your good wishes and of course thanks to everyone else too as I know Carol will gain strength as she recover's from her op knowing she has so many friends willing her well again.
Happy to report I'm doing fine so far although I did have a few problems and a bit of a scare two weeks ago with suspicion of lung mets but thankfully it seems clear and my onc says no evidence of that.
It seems my problems are related to years of smoking so armed with my patches I'm ready to finally win this particular battle after Christmas.(Finger's crossed)
Joy I know Carol will enjoy swapping stories with you when she gets back as you both appear to have a lot in common .
Tomorrow's the big day so will update as soon as I have any news.
Wishing good health and blessings to all our sister's
Tricia

rinaina
12-17-2006, 06:18 PM
I am praying for a successful surgery. I hope all goes well. Please keep us informed.

tousled1
12-17-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm sending good vibes so that Carol's surgery will go smoothly. Tricia, I'm glad that you do not have mets to the lungs. You are and have been a great support to Carol. Prayers coming your way for both Carol and you.

tricia keegan
12-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Carol was sitting up for the first time since her op today and eating ice cream!
The bad news is that the surgeon could only remove about 40% of the tumour without leaving her with brain damage so at this stage we're hoping and praying again the chemo/rads will get the remainder.
Her bone mets have also begun to give more trouble so we're just waiting to see if her onc will leave her on herceptin as it may have stopped working so well having done wonder's containing the disease for 3 years.
She seemed a little down to me,understandably and is miserable at having to remain in hospital over Christmas and not be there for her children.
I keep reminding her to think ahead of her new house and life just waiting for her which is worth giving up one Christmas if this is all sucessful.
Her hubby surprised her by arriving the night before the op unexpectedly though which she was really pleased with.
The onc has mentioned Temodar (sp?) for chemo but nothing definate at this point.
Thanks again to you all for the support and will post more news as I get it.
I wish everyone a happy and peaceful Christmas.
Tricia

Jeanette
12-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I am so happy her surgery is over and hopefully she will recover soon. She is a fellow Scot and I just know she has the gumption to get thru this. My best wishes to her for a Happy and Healthier new year. Maybe she can be home to celebrate Hogmany.

sherri
12-23-2006, 02:18 PM
I wish with all my heart that she can recover fast and become healthy again. I can see her next year at Xmas sitting with her children and family and staying in hospital for Xmas is only a far memory.

Big hug to Carol,

Sheila
12-24-2006, 02:24 PM
My hope is that Carol will recover quickly and the chemo will eradicate the rest of the nasty tumor so she will be good as new in no time. Blessings and prayers to Carol

StephN
12-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Tricia and Carol -
I am sure they would have Zometa that Carol could take for her bones. That can be very effective. It is a short 15 minute infusion and could make a real difference.

For her leftover brain tumor met, they might think about doing the OMAYA (sp?) reservoir where they are able to put the chemo directly into the tumor site. This is often done for people with brain primary tumors.

Sounds like she may not be having the whole brain radiation, which could weaken the blood brain barrier and allow Herceptin and other chemo in. I think Patty Z has posted on Xeloda for brain mets as well.

Best wishes of the Christmas season to you both.

tricia keegan
12-26-2006, 03:04 AM
Carol has been on Zometa with herceptin for her bone mets the past few years so they will probably continue with that.
Her onc had talked of injecting the chemo directly to the tumour so I'd say you're bang on about that.
We're not sure yet about WBR as this was discussed before the op so she's waiting now to see him after Christmas to get a treatment plan.
I'll post any news as I get it but truely want to thank you all for info and support at this time.
You're all absolute Angels and I wish health and happiness to everyone!
Tricia