PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Trouble

MJo
12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Did anyone come out of treatment with stomach trouble? I used to joke about my cast iron stomach. I finished 3 A/C, 4 Taxol and 36 weeks of Herceptin. Had to stop Herceptin due to heart issues. I had uncomfortable acid reflux during taxol and Herceptin, but an occasional antacid helped. Last does of Herceptin was six weeks ago and this weekend I got acid reflux so bad that I vomited three days in a row. My oncologist doesn't think this has to do with herceptin and suggested I see my family doctor if I don't improve. Does Herceptin have withdrawal symptoms. My stomach feels like it's been scraped with a brillo pad. Did anyone get this? Do you think the chemo & herceptin left our stomach linings more delicate. MJO

tousled1
12-13-2006, 04:55 PM
MJo,

I still occassionaly have stomach problems -- feel nauseated at times and sometimes even throw up. I have phenegren that I take on those occasions. It doesn't happen often but enough that I need the prescription on hand. I don't know if it's resiudal side effect of chemo or if it's the Herceptin. At any rate I sympathize with you. Ask your oncologist is he/she can't give you a prescription for the phenegren to keep on hand.

Chelee
12-13-2006, 11:27 PM
I had stomach issues during treatment. They were nasty. Bad burning in my throat, major reflux, you name it. I know the taxotere did me in. I was given Protonix for it and that solved the problem right away. That gave me back a case iron stomach as you said.

But about a month after I finished chemo...my stomach went back to normal and I have not had any problems with it. (Knock wood.) I've never heard of herceptin withdrawal...but that is a good question? Anything is possible, we all can react differently. It will be interesting to see if others have had any problems after stopping herceptin? But until then...see your primary or onc and ask for some Protonix, nexium, or something along that line.

I sure hope things improve soon for you.

Chelee

tricia keegan
12-14-2006, 01:30 AM
HI I had a lot of stomach problems too and after chemo had an endoscopy done to rule out cancer or ulcer's.

Thankfully it was neither but they did say I had developed a hiatus hernia and a year after chemo I still need to take a nexium before breakfast and have never regained my apettite.
I think this is very common after chemo and I hope your's settles soon.
I finished herceptin a month ago but have'nt noticed any withdrawl effect yet but good question.
Tricia

MJo
12-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Many thanks for your answers and suggestions. It calms my stomach acid to know I am not alone. MJO

MGordon
12-14-2006, 12:14 PM
MJo -

I just finished posting what is happening with Lisa - and although I am not your doc, or even the smartest nut in the bowl - I would feel better knowing these are side effects and not symptoms. Read "The Sccop" post and maybe you'll agree. If so, ask for a scope to make sure the tummy is fine! Of course - with my emotional state i could be over-reacting...

Love and Light
mel