PDA

View Full Version : Sternum Issue ??

Yorkiegirl
12-12-2006, 01:15 PM
I thought it was this baord that someone had mentioned they had issues with the Sternum? Can you tell me about it?

I have this big lump that seems to be getting bigger and it does hurt, when I am sitting it seems to feel like it is digging into me. This just started about 3 weeks ago.

I have my 1st follow up appt. with my Onc next week since finishing Herceptin the end of August.

I just hope my Onc doesn't think I am crazy and need "happy pills", as this is a issue that has me very concerned.

Becky
12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I believe the Italian girl had sternum issues. Her Avatar was a cartoon cat (black and white). She had a sternum replacement with Goretex material.

You can probably find her via the member list by looking at the avatars.

Hope this helps as she is the only one I can think of.

AlaskaAngel
12-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi Yorkiegirl

Regardless of the outcome, your description of the problem and your history is reasonably concerning and should be carefully investigated and evaluated by your doctors.

Sometimes it is hard to get a feel for what is credible and what isn't, especially if you are trying hard not to be a complainer.

AlaskaAngel

Lani
12-12-2006, 01:47 PM
is it right in the middle or near where the sternum joins the ribs. If the latter, it could be costochondritis, a painful but totally benign condition entirely ,unrelated to your cancer**. There is a small amount of motion in the joint to deep pusiing which should help you identify the joint and differentiate it from the breastbone itself.

**that said, it could well be that this condition is more likely post-radiation

Is it near the top, bottom, right side, left side and which breast had the tumor? What surgical and radiation treatment did you have?

I am certainly not an oncologist,nor do I have personal experience of this, but happy to try to gather information for you