PDA

View Full Version : uggh, it's back

kk1
12-12-2006, 09:34 AM
well, I guess we jinxed ourselves when we thought about maybe stopping herceptin if things on the next round of tests looked good.

My onc just called with the results of my last round of scans. He said the mets have returned to my liver, at least everything else is clear. So much for the her2 serum and CTC giving us advanced warning....those were within normal range.

I have no idea what I wil take next....can hardly bear to tell my family.

Please all you who are battling liver reoccurences please refresh my mind as to what you have tried. (last time I did heceptiin, taxotere, and xeloda).

thanks
kk1

ps. I accidently posted this under the profiles in courage forum and can't figure out how to delete it. If anyone knows the secret please let me know. I really don't want to depress anyone.

janet/FL
12-12-2006, 10:10 AM
You may have posted it under the wrong heading. But you have courage. Courage to get this beast under control again.
Hugs

StephN
12-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Dear Kim -
Not the news I wanted to wake up to, but if your serum tests are in normal range the spots must be small. Any chance they are scars still hanging around?
Let us know when you get more details on how many and how big.
Often the treatment will depend on this info.
Was it a long time between scans? Was it a PET/CT or are you having a PET?

For my liver mets, I took Taxol and Navelbine. It worked along with the "vitamin H" (Herceptin).

I know others have had success with Xeloda and Navelbine.

You may want to look at Abraxane (newer version of Taxol) or Avastin (another targeted therapy that stop the blood supply to the tumors).

Hard as it is, your family should know that there is NO cure yet for what we have, and that the dragon can come sneaking back at any time. Sometimes they forget that when we seem like we are getting back to "normal." When I go for my Herceptin every 3 weeks, this serves as a reminder that I have a serious disease, even if we are all trying to be optimistic.

kk1
12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi Steph;

glad to hear from you. I was so stunned this morning that I had forgotten to ask lots of questions when he called. He just e-mailed me with a few answers.

I get scans every 6 monhts. Two tumors, both in the same location as the first time--he did not say the size. He did say that the her2serum and CTC results HAD NOT come in yet....he was only refering to my other blood work as being in normal range. My onc's off to the SABC meeting so I will have to wait until he returns for more info and a meeting.

kk1

Sherryg683
12-12-2006, 01:11 PM
I've heard gemzar works well with liver mets and of course you could try getting into tykerb. Be sure it's not scar tissue or a false postive on the pet before going too far. I guess I would just want to be a little more certain of the results..sherryg683