PDA

View Full Version : barium question (easy one)

Heart Sutra
12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Any advice on drinking the ridiculous amount of barium needed for a cat scan? Sue has to do so tomorrow, and we're wondering what people's experiences were?

Also picking up pathology report tomorrow. Lately, going to see either of the surgeons produces so much anxiety. She's doing great, and we're laughing and joking as usual, but just one moment alone and I start to feel all the stress.

I dread going back to work because I'll be away from her, and being with her is the only time I feel strong and sane. Feels like anything can be fixed when we're together. Apart, a broken shoelace takes on universal signifigance...
Crazy. Or as my son said when he was little....it's crazy cuckoo-nuts.

Nervous chatter's a part of it all, right? http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Kevin and Sue---

tousled1
12-11-2006, 09:29 PM
The barium they use now really isn't so bad. It's not the best tasting thing you'll ever drink but it does come in flavors now. As for the nervousness, I don't think that ever goes away. It's especially difficult when you have tests and have to wait for the results. At least you'll have the pathology report tomorrow and know exactly where you stand. I'm sending you wishes for a good pathology report.

chrisy
12-11-2006, 10:04 PM
MMMMMMM
Orange smoothie is a good one too!

More like a chalky bad impression of a smoothie! Drinkable, but not a "lets go out for a smoothie" treat!

I've honed my barium chugging skiils over the past few years and have found that, for me, it is easier to chug it (maybe it brings back flashbacks from college or something!).

For this reason I do not chill it - you don't need a head freeze, too. I put it in a glass and drink it as fast as I can - I usually stop a few times to take a breath and gag a bit - but it works for me! Putting it in a glass makes it better psychologically and easier than drinking from the bottle.

Depending on how much I have to drink (if I do abdomen/pelvis it's a double dose!) I sometimes experience, uh, digestive distress. I think my system wants to purge itself!

Usually when I go into the CT room, they hand me ANOTHER glass of the stuff just to top me off! YUM!

Seriously, it is not that bad.

Although you did not ask about this, if Sue is getting IV contrast (usually yes), that is injected in the CT room and you can feel it flowing through your body - it is a warm feeling, very unusual but not unpleasant.

Good luck, I know this is stressful and scary - a continuation of the emotional roller coaster. But you do want to know what you're dealing with and hopefully these tests will show clean clean clean and then you can breathe a big sigh of relief.

By the way, Sue is BEAUTIFUL - and you both have a spirit to match.

Hugs
Chris

Chelee
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Here's something that might help. It was my hubbys idea. They come out and hand you that cup of barium with a lid & straw in it. I tried getting it down using the straw but you taste every bit of it that way.

My husband said to take the lid off the cup & gulp it down. In other words...get it over with. (Don't think about it.) Ha! Guess what...that worked. It is so much easier that way. Thats the only way I do it now. (Not sure it will help Sue, but thats my suggestion.) I hope it helps.

Wishing Sue good luck tomorrow. You both hang in there.

Chelee

StephN
12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Personally, I have to take it slower or I GAG! I get the Berry flavored one and that is better then the old banana flavor.

It is good to have a little water as you can have clear liquids before. Then afterwards I do the Cranberry juice and lots of water to make myself go to the potty and get rid of the stuff. It will take a day or so to eliminate the chalky barium stuff, but keep the fluids coming to help that or it can be a bit constipating.

It is also good to try to get the contrast out of your system as well with a good dose of liquids after.

Crissy alluded to the "hot seat" phenom that you get with the contrast. Sue will feel it go all through her body and then she will feel like she may have wet her pants. That is NOT the case, just feels like it. That passes very quickly like a couple of minutes.

Welcome to the Barium Club! Hopefully this will be the only time she ever has to do this.

Sheila
12-12-2006, 06:56 AM
I may have missed something here but I usually don't drink contrast before the CT....not to say I have never had it, but the physician can order without...last time there was an error and the XT Dept. gave me 3 delicious glasses of their version of a martini called Johnny Go Lightly....well it worked, but not lightly.....I must have been in the bathroom 30 times, and had to go through a bone scan, brain Mri etc. after the CT scan...I was in the right lane looking for exits on the 75 mile ride home....not pleasant at all...so now I don't do the drinkable contrast, just the IV contrast...which gives you that rosy feeling, like an instant hotflash...and as Steph said, you feel like you wet your pants...just all the dye accumulating in the lower abdominal area....I usually have all my scans done in 1 day due to distance....feel like I glow in the dark after!

Mary Anne in TX
12-12-2006, 07:52 AM
I'm a super cold, drink it with a straw girl! I do drink it pretty fast. The most important thing that I have found is to "Psych" myself before I reach in the frig for the stuff. "I'm a pretty lucky girl to have the opportunity to get this CT done today. They let me stretch out on a cozy bed and give me great things to drink:! Works for me! They make me drink 1 bottle 2 hours before the appt. and 1 bottle 1 hour before the appt. (that one gets chugged on the way) and then the little cup just before table time!

Since I've had a life time of kidney problems, I drink like a fish for the rest of the day and the next! I down a bottle or two of cranberry juice just for good measure. I like to get all three CT, bone, and muga at once, but it doesn't always work out that way!

As everyone said, it's really not bad. Good luck on all your results! I do remember being new to all this and being panicked over each step. Nothing has helped more than hearing from everyone on this site on how to "get it done"!

Heart Sutra
12-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi all.....

This is the first time I get to reply and I must first say thank you for all the help you have given us!!!!!

As far as the barium, I didn't think it was going to be a great experience but that's really not where my head is at this morning.

No one could ever take away this absolute thrill I'm feeling.

I GET TO TAKE A SHOWER!! THE FIRST IN A WEEK!!! Yeah!!!

Anyway, I do thank you...Without this site we would be in a nut house!!!

Thanks, Sue http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jean
12-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Sue and Kevin,

Wishing you good luck tomorrow!

Jean