PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with Doxil

lightsteve
12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Today Sarah got her first round of doxil. After telling us about the reduced level of side effects the nurse then proceeded to detail several pages of "do's and don'ts" for preventing additional side effects. Browsing around I find that some people find Doxil a walk in the park and others seem to get hammered. I hope it goes smoothly for Sarah, she has been kicked around lately. Anyone have experience with Doxil, or advice on management of side effects? Looks like mouth sores and hand-foot syndrome are the biggest problems.

thanks.

Steve

Bev
12-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Looks like a close relative to the A in AC. I did doxirubicin myself. Lost my appetite and felt weird for a few days. . I did lots of pre-emptive sleeping. Good luck and check out this site for more info .
http://www.breastcancer.org/research_chemotherapy_doxil.html

tousled1
12-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Steve,

A good site to check out chemo drugs is:

http://www.chemocare.com/bio/

Barbara2
12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Thank you for listing that sight. Pretty much sums up all you need to know about chemo drugs.

Bev
12-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I forgot. Onc nurse said to do B6 daily for neuropathy. Worked for me. BB

Shell
12-13-2006, 08:20 AM
I've had 3 treatments of doxil (getting it every 2 weeks since I get Avastin also). This has been a tough one for me. Aside from the busy time of year, I've still been trying to work full time and care for our 2 young girls and do the usual other stuff. Despite religiously using the cold compresses during infusion, I did get the H/F again (had it w/ xeloda). My mucous membrane are also very inflamed.

I asked not to get my 4th treatment until I got a cat scan - it's too hard for me to take unless I know it's working - I should get the results later this week....

Good luck with it,
Shell

lightsteve
12-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Well I for one can't imagine trying to work full time OR care for two girls while on chemo, let alone both. More power to you, Shell.

To everyone - thanks for the posts, it is all very helpful.

Now if we can get Sarah's kidneys working right we can move ahead. She was readmitted today with high creat, looks like last week's fix didn't take.

Steve

tousled1
12-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear that Sarah is in the hospital again. Here's hoping that they will get the right fix this time.