PDA

View Full Version : Update - Not Over the Hump ...

StephN
12-10-2006, 12:34 AM
... but the 2 spots in my brain are 3-months stable and even a little smaller. The one that was not operated on and presumed to be radiation necrosis from the Gamma Knife procedure is only 6.9mm (it was about 5mm when Gamma Knifed).
There is some cerebral/spinal fluid buildup at the back of my head again, but it is not a lot, and hopefully is just part of the healing process after the surgery in Oct. (I don't like it though, gives me a bad feeling...)

So, results were mostly good this week and next brain MRI is in 3 months. The docs are feeling good about my case, especially since I am NED from neck down and there have been no new spots in my brain since the original two that showed up 2 years ago. (OH! How I still recall that message on my recorder from my med onc that they found something. It was harrowing and bone-chilling.) But, here I am 2 years later with no new tumor activity anyplace.

Then there was the root canal on Thurs. But that woman endodontist was fast, accurate and gentle. I was out of her office in less than one hour!

Just a little positive news from out here in the Misty Woods. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif

tousled1
12-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Steph,

It's always a boost to hear some good news for a change. Hopefully the spots will continue to get smaller and the fluid will somehow just be reabsorbed into your system. Hang in there things are getting better. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Barbara H.
12-10-2006, 05:20 AM
Steph,
Hang in there!!! I have been thinking of you,
Barbara H.

pattyz
12-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Steph........The fact that your docs have such a 'good' feeling about your situation is a real positive, I think.

And, your uneasy feeling about the remaining fluid- THAT I can relate to! (walking around with my 8, knowing one is 1cm and one on pons).

Plus, just IMHO, going two years from first brain mets dx without new lesions showing up is VERY positive. I say a big YEA to that fact!

Yet, I do know the niggling feeling of waiting for that other little shoe to drop, while trying to get on with LIFE.

May your season be full of nothing but Good Cheer now! No more intrusive appts., lots of orders, many good nights sleep, friends, family and memories to cherish.

With love,
patty xoxox

sherri
12-10-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm so happy for you. You've got your present sooner this year! I'll be in Seattle in March and I'll let you know if we can see each other.

Big hug,

michele u
12-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Steph, could the stable spots be necrosis also? That great they are not growing. They must not be getting any blood supply(don't think on that part of your brain) bad joke sorry. I wish you were going to San Antonio

Sandy H
12-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the update Steph. Now, sit back and enjoy the season! Hopefully, you have given yourself some extra rest during this very busy season for you and your hubby. Will be thinking of you in San Antonio. hugs, Sandy

StephN
12-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey, Michele and SandyH -
I will sure miss not going to the symposium in San Antonio this year. I know you are both getting packed and ready for next week.
No, not any extra rest as things are hopping, and bad weather after Thanksgiving snarled things up for a few days.

Sherri - Yes, it is a "gift" not to be facing brain MRI the first week in Jan as has been the case for the last 4 years! My sister in Florida is asking me to come see her, so I may do that instead of "the usual!"

Hubby and I are working on Christmas cards and will go out and get a couple of books to give as gifts.

Have any of you read "French Women for All Seasons" by the author of "French Women Don't Get Fat?" The author is a long-time acquaintance of ours. She did a talk and book signing in our neighborhood last month. It was great to surprise her and see her. Her latest book makes a great gift with some sensible advice and recipes. She IS a real doll, by the way!

jojo
12-10-2006, 08:09 PM
From another brain metster to you:

As always, keep up the GOOD fight!!!

I am proud of you! :-)

Sending sunny hugs your way

Sherryg683
12-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Very good news, I say go to Florida and enjoy yourself..you deserve it..sherryg683

VirginiaGirl
12-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Steph,
Thanks for sharing your happy news. Today, I didn't read too much of it, so this was a pleasure. Hard as it is sometimes, enjoy "normalcy" and have an extra-special happy holiday!
Peace,
Liz

lightsteve
12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Hang in there, enjoy the holidays, celebrate the good news.

Steve

Sheila
12-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Steph
At least now yu can relax a bit and enjoy the holidays....wish you were going to San Antonio...would love to meet you...you are a trooper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrisy
12-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Steph, thank you for sharing your good news - enjoy the holidays and although it may not be restful, may it be cheerful!

AlaskaAngel
12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Steph.

I'm convinced that all the treatment we get is intended to dry up every last drop of us whether we need it or not, so I am glad in your case to hear that the fluid level maybe a bit better for you. And I bet we were both having our teeth fixed at the same time. I find it remarkable that at the same time I am no longer having cavities after a lifetime of them (perhaps one positive result of less estrogen?), my teeth are also cracking and falling apart (perhaps from chemo/rads?)... !

Hoping you get to Florida,

AlaskaAngel

Heart Sutra
12-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi Steph!

It's good to hear some positive news.

The misty woods must be the place to be... smooth root canals too. That place has everything.
You've been very kind and supportive of us, we are so glad you've gotten some relax time heading your way (that happens, right?)
Should be a great season for you.

---Kevin and Sue---