PDA

View Full Version : How often are you getting Muga/Echo's

momdeeco
12-08-2006, 05:24 AM
I started Herceptin 10/06. My oncologist suggested a muga in 6 mo. I thought every 3 months for a muga would be better. Also after reading the Muga vs Echo thread, I think I will ask for an Echo next time.

Mary Jo
12-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi Carla,

I had an ECHO before chemo started to make sure I had a strong enough ticker for chemo. That is what my onc. used as a starting point for me for when herceptin started last Oct. 2005. After 4 months my onc. ordered a MUGA to make sure my heart was tolerating the herceptin well. It was and that is the last MUGA or ECHO I had. I finished herceptin Oct. 11, 2006 and basically had no troubles (minus aches/pains, a little diarrehea). I did question my onc. at about 6 months into herceptin and wondered why I wasn't given a MUGA more often and her response was that more often than not toxicisity (spelling?) from herceptin occurs within the first 4 months. She then goes by blood pressure, heart rate and symptoms. I didn't always like that about her BUT trusted her and made it through fine.

So, good luck to you. Mary Jo

MJo
12-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Every three months for me. My friend is being treated by same oncologist and she also gets hers every three months, so I guess it's standard for him. MJO

tousled1
12-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I receive echocardiograms every three months since starting Herceptin.

RhondaH
12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
1 echo 3 days prior to starting Herceptin 8/18/05 and never received another one. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Chelee
12-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I have gotten ECHO's about every 3 months...closer to 4 months a couple times. My onc just assume not run any scans or tests unless I push for them...but ECHO's she has always been serious about. In fact I will finish herceptin in mid Feb. 07 and she even wants me to have one more ECHO before I am done...and one 3 months AFTER I finish herceptin.

My last ECHO was 72%...all mine have been pretty good so far. (Knock on wood.)

It sure gave me peace of mind to have my ECHO's on schedule. I agree that you should ask for a ECHO sooner.

Hang in there.

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX
12-08-2006, 04:12 PM
My insurance company stops paying for the herceptin if I don't get a muga every 3 months. The business office at the clinic gets the "message" and sends me off for a muga! I was amazed!